Ruffling of feathers!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Ruffling of feathers!

Postby Alastair Moore » 04 Jun 2013, 11:08

Hi guys,

Have had a couple of complaints lately about how some people are being a little stubborn or stormy in their posts. I'm going to mention no names. I wonder if we can try and be a little bit more open or accepting of other points of view. There's some very knowledgable people on the forum and obviously we all have our own ideas and our own ways of doing things, which others may think are not the best. So if we can try to be a bit more understanding and a bit less strong willed, I think that that'll work better. We've been doing very well so far! Let's try not rock the boat too much!

Thanks,

Alastair

RoganJosh

Re: Ruffling of feathers!

Postby RoganJosh » 04 Jun 2013, 16:42

Well I think we dont argue enough so your wrong.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 05 Jun 2013, 10:46

Argument, as discussion in a legalistic sense, is indeed a commendable activity which has merit that can benefit the assembled multitude.

But it has been my experience over many years on internet fora that all too often such discussion gets devalued by:

1 Playing the man and not the topic,

2 Navel gazing about the ills of the forum and/or its community.

These attributes serve no good benefit to anyone and just prove to be divisive and become fractious.

Let's all hope that increased levels of argument as Rogan Josh seeks do not stray into heated hate sessions.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 05 Jun 2013, 16:01

Walter Glover wrote:Argument, as discussion in a legalistic sense, is indeed a commendable activity which has merit that can benefit the assembled multitude.

But it has been my experience over many years on internet fora that all too often such discussion gets devalued by:

1 Playing the man and not the topic,

2 Navel gazing about the ills of the forum and/or its community.

These attributes serve no good benefit to anyone and just prove to be divisive and become fractious.

Let's all hope that increased levels of argument as Rogan Josh seeks do not stray into heated hate sessions.

My post was topical sarcasm. Sorry, sometimes I forget that this kind of stuff does not transfer well over the internet.

Andrew Nichols

Postby Andrew Nichols » 10 Jun 2013, 14:00

I think you should send pm's
To those people who were complained against
Trying to control every one by casting a religious politically correct blanket
Of morals ethics and all knowing expectations to behave in a luke warm vanilla easy listening way will only kill the forum like Kirk did to lf forum when he kicked out frank for no good reason
The place is dead now.

I don't know the argument but sometimes people need there buttons pushed

We are not kindergarten kids

It takes two to tango

Some
Australians are quite lame soft in the head tv baby's who are influenced by border patrol
And are upset easily because they done get sex.
Or are generally miserable due to empty sterile materialistic lives.

What we need is fight club!

Maris

Postby Maris » 10 Jun 2013, 14:57

I promise not to post after a long darkroom session and the couple of Scotches that come as a reward at the end of it. But, yea verily, forebearance is tested by some of what passes here.

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 30 Jun 2013, 13:21

Not enough truth in my opinion. Most comments posted here seem to be too "nice".

To paraphrase Andrew, we are not children. If someone has the strength of conviction to ask for, or post, an opinion I for one take that as encouragement to reply forthrightly.

I hate starting off with some sort of lame, IMHO etc.
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 22 Dec 2013, 18:42

Hello all,

Hope you are all well and capturing great photographs! I'm bringing this thread up again because I've had complaints about the behaviour of certain users again.

I have no problem with heated discussion and differences of opinions and would rather there was this than simply "great shot!" comments.

However, being rude and abrasive is not acceptable.

Please stop it.

Alastair

Return to “Community Chat”