Official. I'm in love with 8x10

smbooth

Re: Official. I'm in love with 8x10

Postby smbooth » 21 Jun 2013, 14:47

That would be an enlarging lens (the rodogon)

andrewch59

Postby andrewch59 » 16 Sep 2013, 22:14

I have collected Perken son and rayment magic lanterns and lantern advertising slides for ten years or so now, and also aquired a very old rayments patent camera. Then saw a couple of cheap thornton pickards on ebay, which I also acquired. I did not have a clue how they worked. It was only when in an auction house I saw a 8 x 10 Marion on the counter, I looked through the ground glass and was mesmerized! I bought it and it has been a steep learning curve ever since. It has a wray 12 x 10 lens that came with it, and I have just purchased a quick acting cabinet portrait lens to try on it.
I have the Rockland tintype kit, I think the images are amazing, and today coated my first ten plates with AG Plus. My first exposure should be in the next couple of days, once I get my lens board back from the machinist. I'm a bit iffy with exposure times and the like, although I did get a cheap Weston iii and covered the sensor with blue film, as suggested. If anyone has any pointers in doing tintype it would be greatly appreciated.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 17 Sep 2013, 06:50

Where are you based?

Gold Street Studio in Trentham, Vic, is a great place to learn these "alternative" processes.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 17 Sep 2013, 17:18

"Pointers doing Tintype" I think its a 'balls n all' sort of process. Not something you dabble around the edges. As Lachlan said Goldstreet Studios doing a few tintype courses, run by Craig Tuffin. Where in Australia are you? Once when talking to him he said metering was all experience as nothing measures UV light (not even meter with blue film over it)

Return to “Community Chat”