No longer an LF virgin!

Waltzing Paul

No longer an LF virgin!

Postby Waltzing Paul » 02 Jul 2013, 00:01

Well guys, finally got my 4x5 camera working at long last.
Took my first photo on Saturday afternoon - shooting out of the garage across the street.
That first photo was a memorable moment after all the weeks of gathering the gear together.
I used a Polaroid PA-145 film back so as to get an instant result.
After much searching and posts to this forum I decided to use the 'Sunny 16 rule' for the exposure.
The night before I had loaded up the back with a pack of FP 100c.
Quite a daunting task when you've never done it before.
Wasn't happy with the result as the white tabs seemed to be back to front.
Using a changing bag I took the film pack out and felt around and to my surprise it was in the correct way - just me being paranoid.
That first photo was a nervous 2 minutes before peeling the film apart to reveal a slightly overexposed print.
Still, it was a thrill to see an image.
I took a couple more adjusting the exposure and got some good results.
Next step will be a field trip somewhere around Brisbane.
Thanks to all who have commented on my previous posts - much appreciated in getting me to this point.
Will keep you informed on the progress.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: No longer an LF virgin!

Postby Alastair Moore » 02 Jul 2013, 09:19

Congratulations! We'll be looking forward to seeing the fruit of your labour!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Jul 2013, 09:30

Paul,

Welcome to the fold. Nothing ever matches the thrill of seeing your first results irrespective of how they go.

My suggestion is that with LF (with ANY photography really) that you need to be organised and develop a methodology of what you use and how you use it. You can refine that methodology as time goes along and the objective should be to develop a fluency in your perception and your realisation of that perception onto film.

Sounds a bit to me like you have dipped your toe in but sometimes being tossed into the deep end can also make you think quick.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 06 Jul 2013, 08:23

Thanks for sharing your intimate virgin experience. It gets better =} . One thing I would suggest is don't be afraid to fire off and experiment with more exposures/shots. You will quickly learn what mistakes you are doing and how they translate into the final photo, as well as the capabilities of film.

Return to “Community Chat”