5 out of 6 is not bad!

Waltzing Paul

5 out of 6 is not bad!

Postby Waltzing Paul » 31 Jul 2013, 22:33

Just finished processing my first batch of 5x4 negatives.
Used my newly aquired Mod 54 and did it all using a changing bag - a bit of a feat but was easy once I got going.
Had a session down at Manly Marina a few days ago and shot off 6 photos of the esplanade and the boats.
5 of the negatives have turned out very well with just one a complete blank - probably forgot to remove the darkslide or something.
The ones that turned out look really sharp and well exposed - really stoked at the outcome.

I have a question: What's the best way to store 4x5 negatives - are there special albumns or folders for them?
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Walter Glover

Re: 5 out of 6 is not bad!

Postby Walter Glover » 01 Aug 2013, 05:46

Paul,

I use Print File archival sleeves, and have done for years. They are punched for in a binder or you can run a bar through the top to place them as hanging files in a filing cabinet.

http://www.printfile.com/45-4b_100.aspx
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 01 Aug 2013, 09:00

Thanks Walter.
After posting to the forum I had a look at the Vanbar site and they do 4x5 archival sheets in packs of 100.
I presume these are for putting in folders similar to how I used to store 35mm negs years ago.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 01 Aug 2013, 09:20

They probably are Paul.

I can go to Vanbar and have a look for you if you like. They might be a bit dodgey
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 01 Aug 2013, 11:39

Thanks again Walter.
They are under Filing-Storage > negs
I'm not familiar with the V-Tec brand.
Here is the link: http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=63922
Paul

Marc Morel

Postby Marc Morel » 04 Aug 2013, 16:45

I used to use the Klame sleeves, but then they stopped making them, so I bought some el cheapo ones from Vanbar, which weren't awesome (perfectly fine I guess, but the plastic material is really prone to scuffing, making the negatives hard to see without removing them), so then I bit the bullet and ordered a stack of Printfile ones for 5x4", 120 film AND 70mm film (which I had a fair bit of). They are great.

Marc!

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 04 Aug 2013, 20:51

Thanks Marc
Where did you get the Printfile ones from.
If you had to bite the bullet it sounds like they were very expensive.
Paul

Marc Morel

Postby Marc Morel » 05 Aug 2013, 09:56

I've bought them from Freestyle Photo http://www.freestylephoto.biz/454100-Printfile-Archival-Negative-Preservers-Holds-4-4x5-negatives-100-pack, and from Printfile directly http://www.printfile.com/45-4b_100.aspx. It's worth buying lots so the postage is less horrible - but that said, I think Freestyle international postage is a bit cheaper these days... but then the AU$ is a bit crappier as well. No-one ever said photography was a cheap hobby.

Marc!

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 11 Aug 2013, 23:46

Well I ordered some 4x5 neg holders from Vanbar along with a couple of other processing items - thought I'd give them a go.
Received them last week and they are single plastic sleeves just a bit larger that a 4x5 negative.
There is no provision for putting these into a folder - just a plain sleeve.
The good thing is, they are really clear and you can view the negative easily without taking it out of the sleeve.
Not sure how I'm going to store these long term but for now I'm keeping them in those sealable sandwich bags - 6 negs per bag and labeled.

Since posting this subject I've had 2 more sessions (6 exposures each) with the camera and got 12 out of 12.
Getting the hang of it now.
Paul

Ian David

Postby Ian David » 13 Aug 2013, 10:11

Hi Paul
B&H and Printfile and various other vendors, probably someone in Australia too, sell flip-top boxes that will hold quite a lot of those sleeved 5x4 negs. It is quite a neat way to store them.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... e_Box.html
I see you are in Brisbane. I will probably order from B&H again in the next month or two if you want me to add anything to my order.

Ian

Return to “Community Chat”