Roadtripping up to Sunshine Coast... suggestions for photogr

alex gard

Roadtripping up to Sunshine Coast... suggestions for photogr

Postby alex gard » 18 Sep 2014, 08:44

I sail across the Strait tonight and will hit the road on Monday afternoon or Tuesday Morning. I'll have about 7 days to get up to Sunshine Coast (Coolum) for a family get together. Can anyone recommend any routes/places to visit? I think a few of you have seen my photos and probably know what I like to photograph. Wouldn't mind checking out the blue mountains and the high country of vic/nsw. Alpine regions etc. By my calculations I'll have to cover at least just under 300km every day to get up to qld in time on the 1st oct.

Any suggestions welcome! Not getting much from my facebook friends :P

I was laughing as I was packing my van yesterday. About 70% of all the crap in there is photo gear/chemicals/scanner etc Ha! Got the 8x10, the 4x5 Sinar and Chamonix and all my developing gear. Just hope I can find some hotels that will let me play chemist in a room.

After the Fraser Island family trip I'll have plenty of time to do whatever I want, too. So open to any suggestions further off the beaten track.

Nathan Everett

Re: Roadtripping up to Sunshine Coast... suggestions for pho

Postby Nathan Everett » 18 Sep 2014, 12:36

G'day Alex, sounds like a pretty good week you've got coming up! I'd recommend having a look around Berridale (between Cooma and Jindabyne); it's definitely one of my favourite places to photograph and would seem to be a good fit for what interests you.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 18 Sep 2014, 15:32

Maybe consider heading out from Sydney, via the Blue Mountains, towards Dubbo and then head North? You'll hit River Red Gum territory on that route... Actually, having the widest distribution of the gum trees, you'll get them in many places, but I thought that I'd sell the dream!

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 18 Sep 2014, 16:13

Thanks guys! Both of your suggestions have been added to the list!! They were recommended by others, too. Cannot wait!!

Maris

Postby Maris » 19 Sep 2014, 11:42

The one place between Melbourne and the Sunshine Coast where I've always exposed film is Lake Jindabyne; big lake, big deciduous trees, big sky, drive right to the edge at many points, convenient shops, pub, accommodation. But don't underestimate the Sunshine Coast itself. Coolum features Point arkwright, Point Perry, and lots of dramatic (dramatic!) coastal scenery within walking distance. And 30 minutes up the road is Noosa National Park, a world class scenic spot featuring surf, rocks, flowers, trees, crags, swamps, cliffs, caves, rainforests, and heaths. When I retired from the corporate treadmill to become a photographic landscapist I moved to Noosa to get easy access to this cornucopia of delights. Ok, there are no high mountains, glaciers, or volcanoes...can't have everything!

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 19 Sep 2014, 12:56

I actually did live in Coolum for about a year when I was younger. And frequented Noosa as my sister used to live there, her husband owns Plants Direct up that way.

I'll throw jindabyne on the list. Thanks for the heads up! Look forward to hopefully meeting you!

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 23 Sep 2014, 17:59

Well you guys were right! Just pulled into cooma. So many sexy trees around this area! Check out jindabyne tomorrow and maybe go back towards bombala(?) great landscapes!!

Return to “Community Chat”