Wanted: 8x10 film holders

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Wanted: 8x10 film holders

Postby Alastair Moore » 14 Feb 2015, 16:39

Hey all,

Have developed a number of sheets of 8x10 over the last week or so and it looks like a couple of my film holders are suffering from "light leak". So I'm looking for a couple of replacement ones. The newer the better but if anyone has any excellent condition older ones, that's fine too. B&H are selling brand new Toyo ones for $210! EACH! :shock:

Maris

Re: Wanted: 8x10 film holders

Postby Maris » 15 Feb 2015, 09:08

Light leaks in 8x10 film holders are very rare except for ancient wooden ones that have warped tops where the darkslide goes in. I've tested all my 30 (average price $50ea) holders by loading them with photographic paper and giving them the full sun treatment at all angles; so far so good. I test the light traps (when the dark slide is out) with a high intensity LED torch. So far no "crack of light" phenomena visible; fingers crossed.

Every time I've found a light-struck negative it's been down to not putting the film holder in the camera correctly or opening the camera back slightly when pulling or reinserting the darkslide. I squeeze the camera back between thumb and forefinger in all four corners to make sure the film holder is seated positively and firmly. I clamp the back and film holder together with the spare hand when pulling and reinserting the slide. And in the interests of paranoia I set the back of the camera so I can insert film holders from the side where the sun isn't shining.

Now, having tempted fate, I bet I get a light leak!

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 21 Feb 2015, 13:39

Where abouts, from the rear flap on when the darkslide is removed.? I cover my actions with the dark cloth if in bright light

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 21 Feb 2015, 14:57

smbooth wrote:Where abouts, from the rear flap on when the darkslide is removed.? I cover my actions with the dark cloth if in bright light

Actually from the side somewhere. It is quite probable it's not the film holders to blame. More likely they're not, but a couple of them are looking a bit shonky and I could do with a spare or two any way. To be fair, the location of the light leaks I got on a couple of negatives were not consistent.

Bazz8

Postby Bazz8 » 30 Mar 2015, 19:55

Alastair Moore wrote:
smbooth wrote:Where abouts, from the rear flap on when the darkslide is removed.? I cover my actions with the dark cloth if in bright light

Actually from the side somewhere. It is quite probable it's not the film holders to blame. More likely they're not, but a couple of them are looking a bit shonky and I could do with a spare or two any way. To be fair, the location of the light leaks I got on a couple of negatives were not consistent.

Having torn my hair out with this issue on my 2D I used some 10mm glazing tape and ran it tight to the DDark and eliminated my lightleak from the sides of the holder. Then for good measure I did this on the inside frame edge all sides to be sure :) The other light leak area i encountered was the rebate that the DDark sits in and cut down strip of Velcro which was eneogh to seal that area.
When i watched Edward western running around with a dark cloth on his 8x10 all the time I know why,but the wind is not helpful practicing this.
Bazz8

Bazz8

Postby Bazz8 » 31 Mar 2015, 17:22

Image2015-03-01 19.46.32 by barsus2001, on Flickr

Close up shot of the main light leak area on my kodak 2D the glazing tape is sticky one side 2.5mm thick and lightproof.
from inside the dark frame i fitted the same tape flush with the seating of the DD on all 4 faces as the sides leaked as well,being only 2.5mm thick it does not obstruct the light to the film.
I have tested 3 shots with the tape and a 20 minite exposure at night with car headlights striking the camera with no ill effects ( I hope)
The othe area is the curved timber detail which traps light nicely, to remidy this I used velcro in the 7x3 rebate that the holders raised section sit in
which seems to have done the trick.
regards
Bazz8

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”