Lens/shutter repairs in Oz/Sydney?

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Lens/shutter repairs in Oz/Sydney?

Postby Alastair Moore » 16 Oct 2012, 23:23

Bought a cheap and cheerful Optar 135mm off eBay - the glass is more or less spotless, so pleased about that however the shutter looks to be a bit off. Certainly the 1 second marker is definitely too fast for 1 second. T mode works fine though so I guess I can use that but would be nice to get the shutter working correctly. It's a Graphex shutter. I was going to use it in this Crown Graphic I picked up for also a bargain.

Can anyone suggest anywhere within Australia that'll do repairs on this kind of thing, or is it perhaps not worth it?

Walter Glover

Re: Lens/shutter repairs in Oz/Sydney?

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Oct 2012, 02:12

Try Legend through ECS at Drummoyne or C R Kennedy.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 17 Oct 2012, 06:02

Before you spend any $$$, make sure that you give the shutter a good "exercise".

I recently bought a Nikkor 450mm in a Copal 3 that was being sold due to "…the shutter does not work on slow speeds". I got it for a bargain price. After running it on faster speeds and working my way towards the slower end, the slower speeds started not only to work, but ended up running accurately.

My guess is that the lens had not been used for quite a while, and that it just needed to be freed up.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Oct 2012, 08:47

Thanks guys, I'm going to give both those suggestions a go.

sharperstill

Postby sharperstill » 19 Oct 2012, 16:22

Just had a Super Angulon 121 serviced by a guy called Reza. 9299 2206 http://www.fivestarcamerarepairs.com.au/

Nice bloke and seemed to do a great job. He's near Eckersleys on York St.

Jackie from Legend is semi-retired these days. If you've not used him before he might not take you on. Worth a try though.

Jon

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 01 Nov 2012, 20:30

I'd suggest contacting Scott at Mainline Photographics in Crows Nest....
they act as agent for a good repair tech who'll do you a CLA quite cheap if that's all the shutter needs

AlexP2

Postby AlexP2 » 08 Nov 2022, 23:54

Alastair Moore wrote:Bought a cheap and cheerful Optar 135mm off eBay that I plan to use for city photos. I love to take photos of boutique and shops throughout Sydney city. I usually take photos of clothing stores like, I recently took a photo of a durag shop in australia that went viral on shutterstock and that earned me quite a good income. The glass of my Optar is more or less spotless, so pleased about that however the shutter looks to be a bit off. Certainly the 1 second marker is definitely too fast for 1 second. T mode works fine though so I guess I can use that but would be nice to get the shutter working correctly. It's a Graphex shutter. I was going to use it in this Crown Graphic I picked up for also a bargain.

Can anyone suggest anywhere within Australia that'll do repairs on this kind of thing, or is it perhaps not worth it?

It's great that you found a cheap and cheerful Optar 135mm! The glass being spotless is a definite bonus. However, it sounds like the shutter might need some adjustment.

If you're in Australia, there are a few places that might be able to help you out with repairs. One option is Camera House, which has locations across the country. Another is Camera Clinic, which is based in Sydney.

It's difficult to say whether or not it's worth getting the shutter fixed, as it depends on how much you plan to use the lens and how much money you're willing to spend on repairs. If you're only going to use it occasionally, it might not be worth it to get the shutter fixed. However, if you're planning on using it frequently, it might be worth it to get it fixed so that you can use all of the available shutter speeds.

Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to get the shutter fixed is up to you. We hope that you're able to find a solution that works for you!

Return to “The Camera”