Opinion - I don't want wood shooting Film...

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
hoffy

Opinion - I don't want wood shooting Film...

Postby hoffy » 25 Nov 2012, 10:06

Teehee...

OK, I posted the exact same topic on another forum, but since I am getting US and European biased replies, I thought I would post the same series of questions here so I can get replies from people who understand our markets (and please don't ignore the comment on "Around $500 to $600 to spend..." :) )

Here goes (BTW, I am specifically after an opinion on the Wista 45 D. I have found a couple of beaters on Ebay and I am trying to determine there maintainability):

OK folks, a couple of weeks ago, I had my heart set on buying a Press type camera with a range finder.

Then I decided that LF wasn't for me.

But, for some unknown reason, I keep on getting drawn back to the marvelous work that is displayed on this forum. I also am very interested in trying some alternative processes, one day.

So, LF (4x5 to start with) is back on the agenda and so is the search for a camera. I have had a think about a rangefinder and have heeded most peoples advice and have decided to give one a miss, which leads me to 'what camera should I buy'?

OK, these are my parameters:

• Field camera over a monorail
  • Rotating Graphloc type back
  • Prefer not to purchase a wood camera
  • Something that I could use for portrait work as well
  • 4x5

I am well aware of the Toyo 45 range. I am also aware of the camera's discussed on the front page of this website.
What I am not aware of is what other candidates are out there that would fit the above requirements.

I have come across a handful of Wista 45D's on Ebay, as well as a couple of Rittreck-views. I have seen a small amount of discussion on these camera's, but not an awful lot.
How are these in the grand scheme of things? Will these be camera's that I will outgrow quickly? How are things like replacing Bellows on these? At this point in time, I am looking at around $500 to $600 to get going (one lens, one board, a couple of holders and a camera).

Any advice more then welcome!

Cheers

Ray Heath

Re: Opinion - I don't want wood shooting Film...

Postby Ray Heath » 25 Nov 2012, 10:49

stop overthinking it

how could any one other than yourself know what you need, or what might be required in way of maintinance etc

anyway it might be more a case of what's available more than what you feel you need
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

hoffy

Postby hoffy » 25 Nov 2012, 10:55

Yes, it is going to be a case of what is available and yes, I do overthink things.

I have come across a couple of listings on the auction site for a couple of beater camera's - A Toyo 45A and a Wista 45 D. Both may need a bit of work (which I am not afraid to do myself), with the Wista definitely needed new bellows. The thing is I can't find too much about the Wista's, hence my comments about them.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 25 Nov 2012, 11:54

What's your hesitation with wooden cameras?

hoffy

Postby hoffy » 25 Nov 2012, 17:51

I perceive that a metal constructed camera will take a few more hits and abuse.

Just to show a couple that I have been thinking about:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121023091097 ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170947078139 ... 1423.l2649

While I understand that the Wista has crappy Bellows, if I could get it cheap enough, I wouldn't have any hesitation having them changed - that way I end up with an OK camera, but with fresh bits where it counts. (obviously, I need to factor in boards and a lens as well).

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 25 Nov 2012, 18:46

Hoffy, Alastair has a wee-willy Wista. he now has a Toyo 45A. PM him and ask.

You don't need a rangefinder in my opinion. And I would never opt for something made out of dead people's furniture. But then, that's just me.

I doubt you would get a Linhof worth having within your price range.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 25 Nov 2012, 21:31

I have a Toyo 45AX. Having had my time again, I would have bought one from the outset. But that's only knowing what I know now. Your budget is fairly limited so for your first camera, get any camera that fits within that budget. I'm not sure I'd recommend a speed/crown graphic but you might enjoy it. You probably won't get a wooden field camera for your budget either. You will be able to find a Sinar for that money though. Two or three sold on eBay Australia for little more than 250$ and they are brilliant cameras. I'd also recommend a Cambo monorail. Mine weighs nothing, I can carry it around like a field camera and it has a good range of movements. It's nowhere near as precise as a Sinar but you could probably find one for $200. I got mine for $150. I've enjoyed shooting all my cameras, some haven't done what I want them to do but they've all been great to shoot with.

TL;DR - buy any camera in your budget and find out if this is the format you want to shoot!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 25 Nov 2012, 21:56

I did a road trip yesterday and took the Linhof Technika with 90mm, 180mm and 210mm.

Each time I take the Linhof out I keep remembering all the bad things about it. Yesterday was no exception. The bellows gets very scrunched applying a lot of rise with the short bellows extension of a 90mm.

I think it lives nicely with the 120mm and anything up to 240mm. In very many ways the Toyo is a far better designed camera and not as finnicky to operate some of the shifts and swings.

The Sinar, on the other hand, works perfectly with any focal length with normal or wide-angle bellows. The Sinar will also go in its trunk with the lens on and does not require setting up from scratch each time.

Speed Graphics can be fun. Limited movements, but if you are just starting out in LF you may notg find you need a whole lot in the movements department.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 26 Nov 2012, 07:20

hoffy wrote:I perceive that a metal constructed camera will take a few more hits and abuse.

I'd be more concerned about how you are going to look after your lenses.

They are usually much harder to replace, possibly more expensive, and definitely more fragile than any body.

Also, IMO, I doubt that there is much structural difference between metal and timber if you're going to drop the camera.

I guess that I'm a bit biased, though, as my wooden 7x17" camera is, at the very least, 80 years old...

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 26 Nov 2012, 07:42

Lachlan717 wrote:Also, IMO, I doubt that there is much structural difference between metal and timber if you're going to drop the camera.

The old press guys, in fact, used to far prefer their wooden Graphics for the very reason that if they dropped them the wood took the blow and everything just kept working whereas the die-cast metal bodies would simply break, or even shatter, depending on the alloy used.

I had a Technika 2000 which fell off the tripod and the entire front standard ended up in a dozen pieces.

The moral of the story is: DON'T DROP YOUR GEAR irrespective of what it is made of.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “The Camera”