No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 13

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: What's your development method?

Postby Alastair Moore » 14 Sep 2012, 15:19

Walter Glover wrote:I might make mention that at Photokina next week Jobo are showing the CPP 3.

My colleague will be at the fair as usual and is collecting info for me. As usual, freight will be the devil in the detail.

Not just the freight. I see the RRP 2490 euros plus 350 euros for the lift!

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 14 Sep 2012, 17:32

On top of the $2000+ price tag!

Maris

Postby Maris » 16 Sep 2012, 09:22

Alastair Moore wrote:
Maris wrote:Tray development works for me. 8x10 is one sheet at a time and 4x5 goes in a 4 place slosher. I tried a gifted Jobo CPP2 but it seemed such a slow and cumbersome way of doing something as simple as developing film. So it went off to the dump and down the throat of the recycling crusher.

.... The water thing I haven't got totally nailed yet but getting there. I'm just finding it a bit of a pain in the arse getting the temperature right quickly. The water comes out of my cold tap about 15c at the moment although come summer that'll be coming out much warmer, as Walter was telling me the other week.

I'm thinking of getting a water tank (like a home brew fermentation tank with a tap) and leaving my fish tank heater dunked in it so I have water "on tap" ready to go. I'm still working on the basis of a bit of cold, bit of hot, bit of cold to get it up to 20c. It's works but I want to spend more time developing and less time getting my water right!...

Developer temperature control is a non-event for me in terms of anxiety about methods or results.

About 6 years ago I started the replenished Xtol batch that still works perfectly today after many square metres of film have gone through it. All films go into rep-Xtol, just at different developing times that have been calibrated for each by experiment. Replenished Xtol delivers a predictable activity versus temperature performance. For example Fomapan 400 comes out the same at 13 Celcius @ 23 minutes as it does at 34 Celcius @ 2minutes 45 seconds! In-between temperatures have known in-between times all determined by some one-off conscientious experimenting. Now I just measure the temperature and instantly know the right developing time...except when I'm in a hurry or have a big batch of film to do. Then the dev/stop/fix trays get floated in bigger trays of hot water, the temperature is measured, and processing proceeds apace. My last big session was 32 Celcius @ 3minutes 20 seconds and several dozen nice 4x5 negs (via 4 place slosher) came out as expected.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Sep 2012, 08:21

Well, the ATL 1000 (or is it 1500?) finally got connected and processed a trio of test negatives yesterday morning. I am sold on it. Laziness to the fore. Sort of 'set & forget' cooking.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “The Negative”