No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 13

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

What's your development method?

Postby Alastair Moore » 13 Sep 2012, 20:36

Just wanted to get a quick poll on what your different development methods were?

I've just taken receipt of my Photo Formulary Slosher. Must say, it was the easiest darkroom method I've tried so far. That said, I've only tried two! (the slosher and hand agitating/shuffling sheets).

Previously I was using a Paterson Orbital but I found it continually had streaks, marks and scratches on the negatives. I believe some people DIY their Paterson Orbital a little bit more than I did, such as removing the fins, which I suspect to be the cause of the marks. Since tray developing, my sheets have been far, far cleaner and the only time I've scratched them, I've clearly been to blame. I must say, impatience gets the better of me most times and I end up not washing or drying the sheets properly.

I've just put four sheets through the slosher and I'm going to be self disciplined and let them dry until the morning this time!

Maris

Re: What's your development method?

Postby Maris » 14 Sep 2012, 08:42

Tray development works for me. 8x10 is one sheet at a time and 4x5 goes in a 4 place slosher. I tried a gifted Jobo CPP2 but it seemed such a slow and cumbersome way of doing something as simple as developing film. So it went off to the dump and down the throat of the recycling crusher.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 14 Sep 2012, 08:56

98% in Jobo.

2% in a Patterson tank (for quick 120 roll development, usually when testing a new camera).

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 14 Sep 2012, 08:58

Maris wrote:I tried a gifted Jobo CPP2 but it seemed such a slow and cumbersome way of doing something as simple as developing film. So it went off to the dump and down the throat of the recycling crusher.

Gee, Maris,

I'd have bought it off you.

_________

I currently have a Jobo ATL 1000 sitting waiting to be connected which is probably not going to happen.

At present I only process 4x5 and I use Jobo 2509N reels in a Jobo tank and process by inversion agitation. I also use a Paterson tank with the MOD45 sheet film holder when I have 4 or less sheets to process. It suits me pretty well. I am not a believer in continuous agitation (tray or Jobo) and prefer to let my film sit and breath a little while for the sake of tonality and Mackie lines.

I also have a line of small deep-tanks with a cradle which I use whenever the wonders of Diafine take hold of me. And that could happen again any time soon.

I have had flings with trays and sloshers but can always be assured of disappointment with the increased edge density.

Processing techniques are a major contributing factor in not reverting to 10x8 again.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 14 Sep 2012, 10:23

Oh well, in no small part due to this discussion I have just reverted to the deep tank and made up a fresh US Gallon of Diafine A + B.

Thanks for the prompting.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 14 Sep 2012, 10:50

Maris wrote:Tray development works for me. 8x10 is one sheet at a time and 4x5 goes in a 4 place slosher. I tried a gifted Jobo CPP2 but it seemed such a slow and cumbersome way of doing something as simple as developing film. So it went off to the dump and down the throat of the recycling crusher.

You could have sold that on eBay for a mint!

I think I actually need to try doing some testing. I'm currently just using the standard times given for film/developer combinations found on the back of the packet (or on PDFs on the manufacturer's website). They do seem to work fine for me but I could do with experimenting a bit more and seeing how changing the variables affects development.

I'm slowly getting to a workflow that I'm quite happy with and last night with the slosher, it was mostly effortless. The water thing I haven't got totally nailed yet but getting there. I'm just finding it a bit of a pain in the arse getting the temperature right quickly. The water comes out of my cold tap about 15c at the moment although come summer that'll be coming out much warmer, as Walter was telling me the other week.

I'm thinking of getting a water tank (like a home brew fermentation tank with a tap) and leaving my fish tank heater dunked in it so I have water "on tap" ready to go. I'm still working on the basis of a bit of cold, bit of hot, bit of cold to get it up to 20c. It's works but I want to spend more time developing and less time getting my water right!

And Walter, if you find you don't have any use for that Jobo ATL-1000, let me know! :)

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 14 Sep 2012, 13:38

My Jobo gets the water up to temp quicker that I can mix the chemicals.

Plus, the sound of the water cascading into the water bath takes me to my Zen place!!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 14 Sep 2012, 13:54

Lachlan717 wrote:My Jobo gets the water up to temp quicker that I can mix the chemicals.

Plus, the sound of the water cascading into the water bath takes me to my Zen place!!

Which Jobo are you using?

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 14 Sep 2012, 14:49

I kinda feel bad about this (although, not too bad).

I had a CPA2 for a while, which is/was a really good unit. However, the previous owner had taken unhooked the heating/pumping system. So, I started to look around, and found a guy in QLD who had a brand-new, never used CPP2 that he was considering selling. We both didn't have a clue about their worth, so I ended up getting it for a few hundred. Along with a couple of tanks.

I then sold the CPA2 to a top guy here in Melbourne who is a Tech for one of the big printer companies. Last I heard, he had it back up and running, in near perfect condition.

I have to tell you, the CPP2 is amazing. I'm now trying to get the courage to do some colour with it!

Both units are perfect for ULF stuff, for what that's worth.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 14 Sep 2012, 15:06

I might make mention that at Photokina next week Jobo are showing the CPP 3.

My colleague will be at the fair as usual and is collecting info for me. As usual, freight will be the devil in the detail.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “The Negative”