Exposure metering

Light, film, exposure..
Lachlan717

Re: Exposure metering

Postby Lachlan717 » 04 Jun 2013, 06:14

Walter Glover wrote:If you follow Phil Davis's BTZS method the incident meter will be as goodf or better than a spot meter.

Sorry, but this bit about being better is simply not true. It can equal the spot meter, just as "Sunny 16" can. A correctly exposed neg is a correctly exposed neg, regardless of the metering paradigm used to get it.

In fact, there are many photographers out there who get correctly exposed images by estimating exposure based on their experience.

Which is the real point here: experience with a chosen method is the key here.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Jun 2013, 08:02

Lachlan,

We are talking about a person here with precious little experience with these things.

Where I believe that the BTZS incident metering technique would be likely to give better, more consistent results is that do not pre-suppose or require Zone Placement which is where most Zone System novices run into strife.

Yes, empirical technique is perfectly fine when you know enough about what you are doing to actually have empirical information to apply.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 04 Jun 2013, 08:16

I agree in principle; however, don't you think that the testing (and its required developing/density skills) required under BTZS is more difficult than the ZS? Prima facie, for a beginner, BTZS is a very complex and daunting process.

IMO, someone starting out the process for learning "decent" exposure is best served by learning film latitude. This is especially true if you're shooting E-6 and/or don't have access to N+/- B&W processing. Again, IMO, a spot meter is the best way to do this.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 04 Jun 2013, 08:28

Pick a meter any meter and learn to use it. No one meter or method is better it's how the knowledge is applied.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Jun 2013, 08:51

Lachlan,

I am sure beyond reasonable doubt that a debate such as you are proffering is of sweet FA use to the fellow.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 04 Jun 2013, 09:12

Walter Glover wrote:Lachlan,

I am sure beyond reasonable doubt that a debate such as you are proffering is of sweet FA use to the fellow.

And I am equally sure that you have delved to these pathetic depths as you have "sweet FA" ability to support your ridiculous assertions about the BTZS.

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 05 Jun 2013, 22:42

Hey guys, calm down a bit. You'll burst a blood vessel!
I can see this topic has opened up a real can of worms.
I had a quick look at the zone thing and BTZS.
Think smbooth has a point. I managed quite well for 30 years using my Olympus OM1 with it's needle meter.
I could sum up a scene and adjust the exposure using that meter and get good results almost every time.
Now I have a canon 7D and will use the spot meter on it to take a few readings and use the results to come up with an answer.
Good to talk about all this.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

boinzo

Postby boinzo » 06 Jun 2013, 13:08

I use a Pentax Digital Spot meter and a kind of variation on the zone system (since I shoot mostly E6 colour). I think the comment about knowing your film's latitude is spot on (pardon the pun). If you know where you're at and what you can successfully capture it's easier to make good decisions. Having said that - I mostly just "feel" exposure prior to checking with the Pentax. You just get better the more you do. The best meter is the one between your ears.
I once tried using a 7D as a meter - there's a couple of problems (from a zone system perspective). One is that the 7D meter on spot setting is a 5 degree spot (AFAIK) and therefore not really fine enough to get the best info. It's also easy to accidentally leave it on evaluative metering, bloody heavy, needs charging and takes up the same room as 6 spot meters ... ;)

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 06 Jun 2013, 13:15

Hi boinzo, you make some good points.
I'll see how I go with the metering and let you all know how things turn out.
Might be a few weeks away yet though.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Andrew Nichols

Postby Andrew Nichols » 10 Jun 2013, 22:18

All you need is a spot meter

I carry both

Just to cross reference

I some times use light meter app to cross reference as well but mainly as I can take a pic with my chosen settings instead of writing down as notes with no image. A bit geeky thou.

I spoke with the Chris from blanco negro
And he points his incident meter at the scene and goes from there
Logical yes
But ever one else points at camera
Yet he gets good negs

I think

He is still learning.

I did just buy darkroom cookbook
Which has changed my perceptions
On how to get a good neg.
ie long dev times. V short.

Return to “The Negative”