Polaroid Fuji holders nightmare

Light, film, exposure..
Waltzing Paul

Polaroid Fuji holders nightmare

Postby Waltzing Paul » 05 Jun 2013, 08:50

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked in the past.
I'm researching the options for instant film for 4x5 use.
Is it possible to use the sheets from say Fuji FP 100c packs of 10 sheets (8.5x10.8cm) with a Polaroid 545 holder?
The film is cheap and the holders are cheap but has anyone tried to use them together?
I know the holder is for single sheets and the packs are supposed to be used together.
The Fuji PA 145 holder is so expensive for the film above. Are there alternatives.
How far off are we to getting single film sheets again? I heard these might be made again in the future.
Any help would be welcome.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Walter Glover

Re: Polaroid Fuji holders nightmare

Postby Walter Glover » 05 Jun 2013, 09:57

There is no compatibility whatsoever.

The old P/N 55 Polaroid was a favourite of mine. It had a very distinctive look all its own and reminiscent of the era in which it was invented - very 50s-ish. I understand that the film itself was Kodak Panatomic-X.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 11 Jun 2013, 07:15

Got remember that FP100C image size is 7.5 x 9.5cm closer to 6x9 then 4x5!

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 11 Jun 2013, 15:17

I know the size is slightly smaller that 4x5 but the FP100C size is heaps cheaper and I plan on using it for testing prior to loading the 4x5 neg.
I mean for testing exposure and DOF etc.
Does anyone else use this technique - I'm only going from what I've read elsewhere, never tried it out myself yet.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Jun 2013, 15:51

Polaroid proofing was de roger back in the era of commercial film shooting. Even the framing of traditional Polaroid holders was different to the actual film exposure so there was always a need to "make allowance".
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 11 Jun 2013, 16:34

"Slightly smaller" its half the size., and like Walter said its a different ratio, responds to light differently and quite possible more expensive than film, well colour film anyway. When using a 180mm lens on 4x5 to frame the same scene you will need to use a 90mm (ish) len to even compare the two framing wise. Using 4x5 you can see everything in the ground glass except for your metering results.

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 11 Jun 2013, 22:01

Hello Walter and Shane.
Is it not possible to use a polaroid 8.5x10.8cm shot to test for exposure and sharpness before using a 4x5 negative?
Assuming they have equal sensitivity I mean - eg ISO 100.
If using the same lens the polaroid photo will just be a central crop of a 4x5.
I realise I've got a lot to learn fellas but the main thing is I'm enjoying myself.
My LF camera arrived a few days ago and I've been practicing using it in the garden but without any film.
As soon as I get some film I'll be down to the sea front to do some shooting.
Paul

Return to “The Negative”