Scanning 4x5 Negatives

Light, film, exposure..
Waltzing Paul

Scanning 4x5 Negatives

Postby Waltzing Paul » 08 Jun 2013, 23:40

Hello, Anyone have advice on scanning 4x5 negatives to digital image?
Type of scanner and results compared to getting this done at a lab.
Thanks.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Walter Glover

Re: Scanning 4x5 Negatives

Postby Walter Glover » 09 Jun 2013, 05:49

Paul,

I use an Epson 4990 which works well enough I think. I scan 4x5s at 1200 dpi which gives an image big enough for my needs, but I could scan at 4800 dpi without the scanner interpolating.

The holders seem convenient enough although I am considering some adjustable holders which might hold the film in a more optimal plane.

The current model of the Epson might be something like a V7000?
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 09 Jun 2013, 07:01

As an afterthought, though, I should point out that the Espon is great with LF scans. The smaller the format you scan the less impressive is the quality of image. Hopeless for 35mm and passable for 120.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

boinzo

Postby boinzo » 09 Jun 2013, 09:36

I am using an Epson V700. I am mostly happy with results although it tends to block up the often very subtle shadow detail you get on a well exposed Velvia 50 tranny. I think the scans are good enough for up 30" prints or so.
Bigger stuff I would normally pay to have drum (or higher quality at least) scanned. The difference is pretty stark.
I like the v700 a lot though, especially for proofing and being sure I have an image that is worth exhibiting.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 09 Jun 2013, 14:51

According to FilmFrenzy's website they have a Flextight Precision II which will be give you better results than your v700. It would see further into your chromes, give you slightly more sharpness, plus it bends the chrome kind of like a drum scanner for max image flatness.

To my knowledge, the v700/750 are the best CCD flatbed scanner. Cheap to own and operate.

Flextight (now owned by hassleblad) Precision are the best CCD scanners. Moderately cheap to own operate.

And Drum Scanners (PMT scanners) are in league of there own, though quality varies between operator and brand. Expensive to own, operate and maintain.

Their is an equal step-up of quality between these scanner types therefore labs generally charge accordingly to their scanner type.

The moral of the story is that scanning is a bitch and you get what you pay for.

boinzo

Postby boinzo » 09 Jun 2013, 19:31

AFAIK (I could be wrong!) the new hassy flextight scanners won't do 4x5?
I constantly keep an eye for an affordable used Howtech... :(

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 10 Jun 2013, 12:23

The Flextight Precision ii will do 4x5 and I believe that is what filmfrenzy has. There are other Flextight/Hassy's that only go up to medium format and according to what you said, Hassleblad might only be continuing these models.

sharperstill

Postby sharperstill » 10 Jun 2013, 20:29

The PII and PIII will do 5x7, and certainly 4x5...

mark.darragh

Postby mark.darragh » 13 Jun 2013, 22:29

Paul,

A little more scanning info that you may find useful. I should mention that I primarily deal with positive films but I do shoot the occasional sheet of colour neg. In terms of scanning, I've found colour negative is much more challenging to get accurate results with. However, in certain high contrast situations or when your dealing with a strong colour-cast it excels. Which ever path you go down the key is making sure that you can access (or create) accurate conversion profiles for the film you use.

Which approach you choose ultimately depends on what eventually intend to use your images for. For web images and smaller prints, a flatbed such as those mentioned will do a great job, provided you have accurate colour profiles. The Epson's certainly get plenty of praise from many LF photographers.

If you hope to produce larger prints then a true drum scanner or “virtual” drum scanner like the Flextights will produce much more acceptable results. There are commercial companies offering both these services across Australia. If you think that might be your future, get a few sheets scanned and compare the results.

Drum scanners, in the hands of an experienced operator, do give the best results in terms of resolution, shadow detail, sharpness etc. With the move to digital it could be regarded as a dying art though. Buying a second-hand unit and running it yourself would really only be worthwhile if you wanted to invest a lot of time (and probably money).

The Flextights are a much more viable option for running at home and the older models do appear second hand from time to time (though they are still much more expensive than an Epson V700 for example).

From what I understand Hassleblad now only make two models - the X1, X5 (faster, more expensive). Both scan up to 4x5” and have a firewire interface. I don't think any of the Flextights were capable of scanning 5x7” film.

The last of the Imacon scanners were also firewire units the models as being follows
949 and 868 – scan to 4x5 at 2040 dpi, both high-end units main difference again being the scanning speed
646 – pitched as more of a “Prosumer” model but I don't know much about them
343 – scans to 6x17 cm

Before this series the computer interface was SCSI.
Flextight Precision III – scans to 4x5 at 2040 dpi, apparently very similar performance to the 868
Flextight Photo. – scans to 6x17

Precision II – scans to 4x5 but only to 1800 dpi. From what I understand these could be given a software upgraded to the Precision III software to scan 4x5 at 2040 dpi optical.

I've been fortunate to have access to a 949 and Precision III and scanned hundreds of images on them. Both easy enough even for me to use and quality of scans are excellent. I'm sure if you were getting sheets scanned on one of these units commercially you would be very happy with the results.

Hope all that information is of some help to you.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 14 Jun 2013, 00:08

mark.darragh wrote:Paul,

A little more scanning info that you may find useful. I should mention that I primarily deal with positive films but I do shoot the occasional sheet of colour neg. In terms of scanning, I've found colour negative is much more challenging to get accurate results with. However, in certain high contrast situations or when your dealing with a strong colour-cast it excels. Which ever path you go down the key is making sure that you can access (or create) accurate conversion profiles for the film you use.

Which approach you choose ultimately depends on what eventually intend to use your images for. For web images and smaller prints, a flatbed such as those mentioned will do a great job, provided you have accurate colour profiles. The Epson's certainly get plenty of praise from many LF photographers.

If you hope to produce larger prints then a true drum scanner or “virtual” drum scanner like the Flextights will produce much more acceptable results. There are commercial companies offering both these services across Australia. If you think that might be your future, get a few sheets scanned and compare the results.

Drum scanners, in the hands of an experienced operator, do give the best results in terms of resolution, shadow detail, sharpness etc. With the move to digital it could be regarded as a dying art though. Buying a second-hand unit and running it yourself would really only be worthwhile if you wanted to invest a lot of time (and probably money).

The Flextights are a much more viable option for running at home and the older models do appear second hand from time to time (though they are still much more expensive than an Epson V700 for example).

From what I understand Hassleblad now only make two models - the X1, X5 (faster, more expensive). Both scan up to 4x5” and have a firewire interface. I don't think any of the Flextights were capable of scanning 5x7” film.

The last of the Imacon scanners were also firewire units the models as being follows
949 and 868 – scan to 4x5 at 2040 dpi, both high-end units main difference again being the scanning speed
646 – pitched as more of a “Prosumer” model but I don't know much about them
343 – scans to 6x17 cm

Before this series the computer interface was SCSI.
Flextight Precision III – scans to 4x5 at 2040 dpi, apparently very similar performance to the 868
Flextight Photo. – scans to 6x17

Precision II – scans to 4x5 but only to 1800 dpi. From what I understand these could be given a software upgraded to the Precision III software to scan 4x5 at 2040 dpi optical.

I've been fortunate to have access to a 949 and Precision III and scanned hundreds of images on them. Both easy enough even for me to use and quality of scans are excellent. I'm sure if you were getting sheets scanned on one of these units commercially you would be very happy with the results.

Hope all that information is of some help to you.

Thread demolished.

Return to “The Negative”