Fomapan film

Light, film, exposure..
Photomark

Fomapan film

Postby Photomark » 18 Jun 2013, 10:49

I can get Fomapan 100 4x5 film on eBay for around $50 delivered for a 50 sheet box, this is a big saving over the cost of my fave film Tmax 100 that I get for around $87 a box from Vanbar.

This price difference can make the choice as to weather I buy film or not that week.

Any one here ever used this film ?

My fave film developer combo is Tmax100 souped in FX39 but budget restraints are making it hard to keep using for 4x5 even though it is very cheap for roll film.

What other films are there that are readily available here in AU ?

I like slow films >ISO 100 and develop for high acutance and sharpness that I get from the Tmax100 and FX39 combo

Been searching all over the net but not getting anywhere

Lachlan717

Re: Fomapan film

Postby Lachlan717 » 18 Jun 2013, 10:59

Put simply, I don't buy film in Australia.

Just too expensive.

I'd suggest putting out a call to others to join you in a combined purchase out of Freestyle/MPEX etc. That way, you amortise the postage costs AND get the much cheaper film rates.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 18 Jun 2013, 11:29

Its not T-Max but more traditional style, think FP4+. Its a good film, shoot it at ISO 50-80.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 18 Jun 2013, 11:51

Can I suggest CheapShotsAu on eBay? Delivery is always quick, he's local (not sure where he gets the film from but doesn't matter) and as his name suggests, he is cheap. I've used him for a number of film orders. Never had a problem.

FP4 is $45 a box of 25. HP5+ is $45 for a box of 25. Shame he doesn't do TMax - I might have to email him and see if he can get it.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/CheapShotsAu- ... 34.c0.m322

Photomark

Postby Photomark » 19 Jun 2013, 09:03

FP4 was my film of choice with 6x6 and 35mm until I discovered what Tmax100 souped in FX39 is like. from my experience FP4 does not like FX39 and I was expecting the same for Fomapan which is a realy pity considering I have several bottles of FX39 developer.

I was also thinking of a bulk buy of Tmax but the wife said she would put a lock on the freezer if I ever did that again :) found a roll of 35mm Techpan 25 a while ago and I think there may also be some Kodachrome in there some where

CheapShotsAU is exactly where I was intending on getting the film from , $39 for a 50 sheet box and only around $7 delivery is a price I am very happy to pay.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Jun 2013, 09:43

Thanks for the heads up on CheapShots. He is cheaper than Freestyle when you take freight into account.

I have been working my way through a shitload of T-Max 100 I was given (Readyloads) and I use T-Max 400 for studio nudes but I prefer the look of FP4+ and HP5+ to anything. They are quite different and HP5+ was my preferred option in 8x10. Contact printed, the curve of HP5+ looked so like the tonality of Platinum on Ilford Warm Tone Matt.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 19 Jun 2013, 09:53

And with the news that Kodak is no longer producing acetate base (I know.. I know.. it won't have any real effect any time soon), I'm thinking I'm going to move on from TMax film onto Ilford. I feel much more confident Ilford is here to stay and Kodak is leaving a bit of a sour taste in my mouth at the moment.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Jun 2013, 10:09

The most potent sign of the direction Kodak is going was when they discontinued Tr-X.

I have used a lot of the T-Max films over the years and they are consistent and good. But they lack character.

When Ilford went down the gurgler years ago and was resurrected by a buy-out it was clear that they saw their future in niche marketing to what remains of the once burgeoning film market. They certainly deserve our support.

I worry about consistency with a lot of the stuff out of the former Soviet facilities.

Same goes for chemistry. I am currently using T-Max RS diluted 1+9 and still have half a dozen bottles which could keep me going a while. But I have previously used the DDX brew at 1+6 and it is nice too.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Photomark

Postby Photomark » 19 Jun 2013, 11:17

If I could I would just use Ilford films , I have always liked FP4 and PAN50 , if I could get PAN 50 in 4x5 I would use that.

As a full time mature age student ( engineering )I dont have much of a budget to spend on photography so I will give a box of Fomapan 100 a try out

Photomark

Postby Photomark » 08 Aug 2013, 09:34

OK I have come to the conclusion that Fomapan 100 film is garbage , I have never had so many problems with any film as I have with that film and with only maybe 1 out of 5 negatives printable it is not in anyway cheap.

Gone back to using Tmax 100 and at $87 for a 50 sheet box it is certainly the cheapest and best value film there is right now.

Fomapan was giving me results that could not even match what I get from my Bronica SQ 6x6 and there was so many developing defects most negs just weren't worth printing from.

Now i just wish I could get Tmax at a cheaper price but I don't think any one will beat Vanbar for price on that , even Cheap Shots AU has Tmax 100 for over $140 for a 50 sheet box , that is just way to expensive.

Return to “The Negative”