Selling prints - what size?

Making your print in the darkroom
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Selling prints - what size?

Postby Alastair Moore » 26 Nov 2012, 15:32

Hey all,

Planning on (trying to) selling a few prints. I was going to start with Etsy and possibly some local markets (Potts Point, Eveleigh, Marrickville) and was wondering what size prints I should be trying to sell? Obviously bigger is better but I suspect those might be harder to sell at a local market. I don't want to go as small as 5x7s (and my 4x5s wouldn't fit well on paper that size) so thought I'd stick with 8x10s as a minimum size and also offer up 13x19 and A2.

Any thoughts? Those of you who have been selling prints, what size are your better sellers? I guess you might be selling to a slightly different crowd to me but I thought I need to start somewhere!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Selling prints - what size?

Postby Alastair Moore » 18 Dec 2012, 14:48

I'm going to offer up 8x10, 13x19 (actually, slightly smaller to keep the ratio correct) and possibly 17x25. But probably mainly 8x10 and 13x19 (cropped).

Ray Heath

Postby Ray Heath » 18 Dec 2012, 15:51

Hey Alastair

I think you should clarify a few pertinent and related questions;

Who do you invisage is your market?

What do you imagine they will do with your prints?

How will you present your prints to them?
Ray

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe's photographs are "a bridge that spans the widening gulf of time" (Michael Hiley 1979, 5).

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 18 Dec 2012, 15:57

Ray Heath wrote:Hey Alastair

I think you should clarify a few pertinent and related questions;

Who do you invisage is your market?

What do you imagine they will do with your prints?

How will you present your prints to them?

Good questions Ray, and I have no idea for any of them! Excepting perhaps the last one - I don't expect to provide anything beyond the printed photograph (signed and stamped) in some kind of presentation case/envelope/something else. I suppose matting and framing is probably down to the buyer.

But as to who might buy any of my prints, beyond friends and family (just to be nice, I'm sure!), I have absolutely no idea! I'm probably getting ahead of myself at this point :)

Return to “The Print”