Or a specialty lighting store.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Contact printing paper

Postby Alastair Moore » 19 Jun 2013, 13:13

All sorted now! There's a light shop down the road from my work who I spoke to. They're going to fit a light socket to a length of cord with a plug on the end. I'm going to stick some hooks to the bathroom ceiling just above where I have my work table. It'll work a treat!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 19 Jun 2013, 14:48

Excellent rig. Until you dry your hair and catch the cable with the towel.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Greenspeed

Postby Greenspeed » 19 Jun 2013, 22:14

Have tried Ilford Multigrade RC papers for contact printing 8 x 10 negs. While Ilford worked, they aren't beautiful print in comparison to Foma grade 2 Fomalux contact papers. Foma has a better tonal depth IMHO. Some of my best Fomalux contact prints were left in developer for more than an hour to obtain a range of blacks in the print.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 01 Jul 2013, 16:52

I got my contact print set up now. A lighting shop up the road from me built a light bulb holder with a long cable on it. Works great! However, it seems 15w is far too bright as I just exposed a couple of sheets of paper and they more or less went all black. I ran the first test sheet initially for 90 seconds in total, with 15 second intervals and then the second for 30 seconds at 5 second intervals. I got a very slight bit of detail. The light is almost near the ceiling and so I can't move that any further away from the paper. Any thoughts?

Greenspeed

Postby Greenspeed » 01 Jul 2013, 18:48

Hi Alastair,

That far too long for RC Mutigrade papers. From my experience, you looking at exposing the RC papers for 1 - 2 seconds. Basically a quick switch on and off. Again best to cut the papers into test strips and work your way up.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 01 Jul 2013, 19:22

Greenspeed wrote:Hi Alastair,

That far too long for RC Mutigrade papers. From my experience, you looking at exposing the RC papers for 1 - 2 seconds. Basically a quick switch on and off. Again best to cut the papers into test strips and work your way up.

Ah, gotcha. Ok, I'll give that a go as I'm still all set up in the bathroom. Is any contact paper still available? I've heard of the Lodima paper but can't work out if that's still being sold or not.

Greenspeed

Postby Greenspeed » 01 Jul 2013, 19:44

Lodima papers are still available from Michael and Paula.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/newpaper.html

No personal experience in using these papers. From what I have read, similar to AZO.

I am using Fomalux and love the paper.

You can get from Blanco and Negro:- http://www.blanconegrosupplies.com.au/B ... malux.html

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 01 Jul 2013, 20:55

Oh, I shall have to go and see Chris about some of that paper. I just exposed a few more sheets at roughly 1 sec. They came out really well! I'm very pleased with myself :) I need to let them dry and then I'll compare them with the inkjet prints I made.

Greenspeed

Postby Greenspeed » 01 Jul 2013, 23:02

Alastair Moore wrote:Oh, I shall have to go and see Chris about some of that paper. I just exposed a few more sheets at roughly 1 sec. They came out really well! I'm very pleased with myself :) I need to let them dry and then I'll compare them with the inkjet prints I made.

Well done. Wait till you try the Fomalux. Much nicer than RC papers. On average expose fomalux from 5 - 8 secs only (mine with 60 watt bulb from 3 -4 feets away from the bulb). If the neg is thin, 3 - 4 secs are enough and let the image slowly develop over 30 - 60 minutes.

Return to “The Print”