Another Efke IR820 comparison.

Light, film, exposure..
Maris

Another Efke IR820 comparison.

Postby Maris » 19 Oct 2012, 12:37

Snow Gum Grove under Snow
Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.4cm X 21.3cm, from a Fomapan 400 4x5 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Nikkor-W 210mm f5.6 lens.
Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.
The blurry thing hanging down from the top edge on the right hand side is an icicle. I didn't see it on the ground-glass of the camera when focussing the camera at maximum aperture and didn't realise it would come into partial focus when the lens was stopped dowm. Darn!

Snow Gum Grove Infrared
Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 21.3cm, from an Efke IR820 4x5 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Nikkor-W 210mm f5.6 lens and a IR680 filter.
Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.

The grove and hillside are the same in both pictures but what a difference a change of weather and a change of film makes! Both exposures were made looking through the window that's behind the sink in the kitchen of Pygmy Possum Lodge at Charlotte Pass.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Another Efke IR820 comparison.

Postby Alastair Moore » 19 Oct 2012, 12:45

Absolutely love the IR shot. Fantastic tones, it looks painted. Lovely work Maris!

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 19 Oct 2012, 17:34

Sure the image on Flickr, the IR snowgum look great, do you remember what the weather was like when you took it?

Maris

Postby Maris » 20 Oct 2012, 10:48

smbooth wrote:Sure the image on Flickr, the IR snowgum look great, do you remember what the weather was like when you took it?

The weather was still and cold, about zero Celcius, with the mid-morning light enhanced by some fill from passing clouds. It might have been a character building exercise to go outside and set the camera up in front of the tree but given a clean window and a hot espresso at hand it was easier at the time to stay indoors and be a woos.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 20 Oct 2012, 11:13

Thanks Maris, I'm try to get a good idea of what sort of light the IR works in, I keep thinking it only work well in sunny conditions but a few photos Ive seen lately keep telling me Im wrong and I will still get IR from foliage even in light cloud.

Maris

Postby Maris » 20 Oct 2012, 16:45

smbooth wrote:Thanks Maris, I'm try to get a good idea of what sort of light the IR works in, I keep thinking it only work well in sunny conditions but a few photos Ive seen lately keep telling me Im wrong and I will still get IR from foliage even in light cloud.

Looking at my notes for this picture I see that the Efke IR820 + IR680 filter combination required a setting of EI = 0.5 on my Sekonic 758D light meter. Big black and white negative film is very forgiving of extra exposure and I could have used a setting of EI = 0.25! The bunches of leaves show blocked highlights but I decided to let them go in favour of shadow detail and tree trunk patterns. Sunny conditions require "soft" development but when the infrared "light" evens out a lack of dramatic contrast can be a problem. This negative was developed in hot (30 Celcius) paper strength Dektol with constant agitation for 4 minutes. The result is grainy and a bit stark but infrared film is not really about naturalistic effects. At least that's the excuse I give myself.

Return to “The Negative”