Generic frames?

Making your print in the darkroom
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Generic frames?

Postby Alastair Moore » 22 Feb 2013, 08:37

Hi all,

I want to frame some of my photographs. These are for the photos that I like but don't feel that necessitate spending $150+ per photograph for some guy to frame them. So I'm looking for a source of generic frames or framing kits or looking for other ideas. I don't really have room in my apartment or the necessary tools to start building my own frames from scratch so basically looking for off the shelf options!

cheers!

Alastair

Lachlan717

Re: Generic frames?

Postby Lachlan717 » 22 Feb 2013, 12:26

Ikea has some reasonable, large frames for somewhere around $50 (look up their Ribba range).

You'll likely need to have a new mat cut, but that should only be around $10-15.

So, about half the cost.

I'm going to start offering frames soon. Just need to get one more piece of equipment together before I can do them.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 22 Feb 2013, 12:35

Awesome. I'll check out Ikea for the time being but will be ready to put an order in when you get going!

I did actually go and see a guy today about getting a piece of art framed and asked him about getting 8x10 images framed too. He said it'd be in the region of $70 which I thought was very reasonable. Will have to see the quality of his work though!

Cheers!

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 22 Feb 2013, 12:49

Alastair Moore wrote:Awesome. I'll check out Ikea for the time being but will be ready to put an order in when you get going!

I did actually go and see a guy today about getting a piece of art framed and asked him about getting 8x10 images framed too. He said it'd be in the region of $70 which I thought was very reasonable. Will have to see the quality of his work though!

Cheers!

You also need to work out the products that he'll be using. I'll be offering fully archival, as well as a "pretty-bloody-close" option when I pull my finger out!

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 22 Feb 2013, 13:41

$150.00

My guy charges me $40.00 for a 16x20 frame, 20mm black timber with glass and MDF back which I toss and replace with foam core.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 22 Feb 2013, 15:33

smbooth wrote:...which I toss and replace with foam core.

I'm going to use "Corflute" (3mm).

I've read that some foams gas off, whereas Corflute doesn't (extremely stable/inert (i.e. archival)). Please don't think I'm saying what you do is wrong; I just know about Corflute being the duck's guts!

Maris

Postby Maris » 25 Feb 2013, 11:57

I use thin black aluminium frames that assemble from lengths of chopped moulding. They screw together at the corners and include springs, hangers, front glass, and backing boards. Changing displayed work is a easy as taking one side off the frame and slipping the old picture out, the new one in, and reassembling. It is possible to frame an entire 30 piece exhibition in a (busy) day. Because the frames get re-used the long term cost is low for someone mounting multiple exhibitions. I hold a stock of about 40 frames, mostly 16x20 and 20x24, and the costs were about $30 each. I also do my own matte cutting and mounting. A dollar or two saved here means more photographs later.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 26 Feb 2013, 12:55

Lachlan717 wrote:
smbooth wrote:...which I toss and replace with foam core.

I'm going to use "Corflute" (3mm).

I've read that some foams gas off, whereas Corflute doesn't (extremely stable/inert (i.e. archival)). Please don't think I'm saying what you do is wrong; I just know about Corflute being the duck's guts!

No not at all. Thats a good tip.

Return to “The Print”