Starting printing.. paper advice

Making your print in the darkroom
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Starting printing.. paper advice

Postby Alastair Moore » 15 May 2013, 11:18

Hey guys,

Our darkroom is pretty much close to completion (it's been a while coming but you know..). I think we'll be in there week after next starting doing some printing. I was going to pick up some paper and chemicals to prepare myself for the day and was looking for some advice!

What paper would be good to start with and can anyone recommend any paper developer? Any other tips would also be appreciated. I've some some printing a few years back but it was pretty much all set up and prepared for me. I recall using some Ilford paper but no idea what chemicals I was working with.

Thank you!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Re: Starting printing.. paper advice

Postby Alastair Moore » 15 May 2013, 11:31

Also, I've seen an Ilford Multigrade Filter set for sale on Gumtree. It's a 3.5" x 3.5" - would this be suitable for our enlarger (Walter will probably know more about this!) - a Durst L1200.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 04 Jun 2013, 08:32

Starting out I would go Ilford MGIV resin coated or Foma speed 312 resin coated. As for the filters I think the L1200 takes 12cm x 12 cm filter above the lens. Bit hard to find, might be easier to make a holder to go under the lens and use common size 3 1/2inch square as you have seen for sale.

Developer - Ilford MQ

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Jun 2013, 08:54

I recommend placing NOTHING in the light path from the lens. There is a pull out tray for filters on the L1200 - take it out, measure it, cut filters to fit. It is what I did.

I actually preferred the results when I used the Kodak filters. You might look for some of them also.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “The Print”