What's in Brisbane?

Marc Morel

What's in Brisbane?

Postby Marc Morel » 28 Jun 2013, 15:32

I'll be wandering around the Brisbane CBD the weekend of the 13th & 14th July with my 5x4" (whilst my better half is at a conference). I'm interested in older and modernist architecture amongst other things - so my question to Brisbane natives is: what's within a decent walk of Southbank that you can recommend for me to while away the hours, and perhaps even remove said camera from backpack, etc?

(as a Melburnian - I've actually only ever been to Brisbane before 'in-transit'... so I know nothing)

Thanks heaps, Marc!

RoganJosh

Re: What's in Brisbane?

Postby RoganJosh » 29 Jun 2013, 12:07

Brisbane is lucky to be surrounded be a geographically diverse landscape but that is where the luck ends for photographers. The architecture is rather uninteresting unless you migrate over to the city centre, which imo is the last place you wanna be using a 5x4. GOMA is an exception though, it's a gorgeous building and it sits at the western end of the southbank boardwalk. The gallery also has some decent photography to view if you get sick of being behind the camera.

Marc Morel

Postby Marc Morel » 29 Jun 2013, 21:54

Well that's neat because I'll be staying a short roam from GOMA it seems. As for roaming around the city centre with 5x4 - I do this often in freezing Melbourne - what are your reservations about the Brisbane CBD?

Cheers, Marc!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 29 Jun 2013, 22:42

I never have a problem shooting LF in city areas ..... or anywhere.

Marc, perhaps something that you can seek out in Brisbane is the bits that still look like a country town. There are some buildings with lace verandahs and colonnades. Interesting stuff where the motorways are built out over the river, also. A few grand old colonial buildings but some have been bastardised. And there is some fascinating street sculptures.

It's been a while since I spent any time up there.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Geoff Roberts

Postby Geoff Roberts » 30 Jun 2013, 10:57

GOMA is great, no idea whats on at the moment, but there's usually something interesting, and it's a great building. The air conditioning is a saviour in summer time too, but the weather should be lovely at this time of year. I have shot 5x4 in Brisbane CBD when I was living there, and never had any problems. You can set up a tripod pretty well anywhere and people are easy going. I always liked the 50s and 60s modernist architecture in the CBD, many are government buildings.

Marc Morel

Postby Marc Morel » 30 Jun 2013, 17:27

Great replies everybody. I think with LF in urban areas you just have to be bold and sensibly self-aware/not afraid to get into long rambling conversations with people... I'll take a box of TXP and a pup tent - hopefully the weather is better than here and I see some interesting things.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 30 Jun 2013, 19:55

I gave goma and the queensland art gallery (which sits directly adjacent to goma Marc) a visit this arv. GOMA seems to be full of rubbish atm, whereas the QAG is totally nailing it in terms of content - photography especially. It's showing the work of many 20th century masters including weston, cartier-bresson, walker evans, eggleston, steiglitz and heaps more that i can't remember. That devious bastard Ansel Adams still eludes me! Where does a man have to go to see his work?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 30 Jun 2013, 20:40

RoganJosh wrote:That devious bastard Ansel Adams still eludes me! Where does a man have to go to see his work?

back in the day Sandra Byron did a show of vintage Adams' work — much of it NOT landscape — and that is the only Adams work I have seen that was wiorthwhile, let alone impressive.

The ANG in Canberra has a Museum Set which is, frankly, hideous. You ain't missin' much in my opinion.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 30 Jun 2013, 22:12

The ANG in Canberra has a Museum Set which is, frankly, hideous. You ain't missin' much in my opinion

Yes from what i've read they were a little too intensified, but it does seem as if he man was working towards something. If he had of lived and shot for another 50 years i'm sure we would've seen some remarkable transformations in his work.

Geoff Roberts

Postby Geoff Roberts » 02 Jul 2013, 12:44

And conveniently, there is an Ansel Adams Show opening next week at the Maritime Museum in Sydney.

http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=2133

Return to “Community Chat”