So long, and thanks for all the fish..

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

So long, and thanks for all the fish..

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Jul 2013, 23:49

I handed my notice in at work today. I've made the tough decision to return to the UK. I'll be going around the end of August/start of September. I've had a brilliant time in Australia and will miss it greatly but things in my life have changed recently and I feel I need to go "home" and be part of my family again. It's been five years since I left the UK (and I haven't been back) and longer than that since I saw most of my family.

This doesn't mean the forum or blog is going away, I'm more than happy to keep hosting it but not sure how much time I'll be able to dedicate to it (although I have been a bit slack on the forum lately). I'd really like to find someone to take over moderating/admin-ing the forum and hopefully find someone to take over the blog and keep that updated. The blog has become very popular and while I'm not getting many comments, certainly it's getting a lot of visitors and views - around a 1000 a week and growing.

Anyway, it's still a short while off before I go but would really like to find someone who'd be happy to take over admin of the forum and ideally blog too.

Huge thanks to everyone for all the help you've given me in exploring this format of photography. You've taught me so much and shared your beautiful photographs which I'll never forget. I've absolutely fallen in love with large format photography and this is only my fourth year into this format. It's a very special format and a very special community. I simply can't imagine shooting with anything other than a view camera any more.

Thank you!

Alastair

Andrew Nichols

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish..

Postby Andrew Nichols » 18 Jul 2013, 06:05

wow, well thanks for starting this community.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Jul 2013, 07:10

Good to see that you are not stuck in a rut for evermore in the antipodes. At your age (probably at any age) one needs to vary the pace and place from time to time.

I guess this means you no longer want the glass for the enlarger?? Is the darkroom gonna keep going? Jars would be pretty keen, I think.

I can't help but say that there seems as though there might be a bit of 'business' to attend to back in the UK.

It has been great having the contact that we have had and I wish you all the best.

I suspect you may find there is a robust LF community in the UK. They have always seemed more dedicated to the darkroom over there. Probably a side-effect of the weather.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Greenspeed

Postby Greenspeed » 18 Jul 2013, 07:12

Another TQ from here. UK is a beautiful place to photograph with your new found love of view camera. Best of luck Alastair.

jars121

Postby jars121 » 18 Jul 2013, 10:57

I'm very sad to hear this Alastair, but I completely understand. It's been great setting up the darkroom with you these last couple of months, and I really appreciate all the work you've put in to both the darkroom and this site.

The darkroom will continue to flourish however, we've got 3 new members as of this week, with the potential for a few more in the near future. I just wish you had been able to benefit from all your hard work!

Oh well, there will be opportunities like this in the UK for sure, they would have a much larger LF community than Down Under. I hope to catch up before you head home!

All the best!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 18 Jul 2013, 11:03

Thanks all, appreciate your comments and Jamie, glad to hear things are going full steam with the darkroom, it is a shame but I'll figure something out in the UK.

If anyone wants/needs any chemistry, I've got lots of it that I won't be able to take back with me. Happy for anyone to take it in exchange for a beer!

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 18 Jul 2013, 12:39

Sorry to read that your leaving our shores. Your done a good job here on the forum and the blog. I hope your move is for a positive reason. By that time frame I assume your not heading to Beechworth?

All the best

Shane

Marc Morel

Postby Marc Morel » 18 Jul 2013, 16:35

Crikey! Well done setting up all this Alastair! All the best for your future adventures...

Marc!

lmatysek

Postby lmatysek » 19 Jul 2013, 08:59

Hi Alistar
I enjoy this forum even just as a reader and would hate to see this disappear. What would be involved in being the system admin? Don't know what is involved. Cheers Lukas matysek

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 20 Jul 2013, 10:27

Hi Alastair
Not sure what the reference to the fish means but I wish you well on your return.
As a newer member of the forum I'd like to thank you for all your hard work for setting it up and maintaining it.
On a personal note I went back to the UK for a holiday just over a year ago for the first time since arriving in Oz 14 years ago.
The first thing I did was dive into a pub for a couple of pints and after into the chippy for some real fish & chips - absolutely wonderful!
In fact I've got a photo on the wall here of that first bag of fish and chips.
Hopefully you will be keeping in touch with us all in the future.

Bon Voyage.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Return to “Community Chat”