new member introduction

alex gard

new member introduction

Postby alex gard » 15 Oct 2013, 21:18

Hi All
My name is Alex I'm 26. Currently 'homeless' at the moment.
Originally from Tassie but moved to melbourne a few years and and now moving back to Tassie (chasing photos!)

I am relatively new to film but absolutely in love. I was shooting on a Canon 5D with a whole bunch of L series prime lenses and others, chasing the techno-dragon, and a few months ago bought a Hasselblad 500c/m and a few lenses and fell head over heels. My DSLR sat in a bag and collected dust, so I've since sold all my gear (still a few lenses up for grabs if anyone wants) and am about to invest in a Large Format system.

Looking at the Sinar F2 at the moment ,seems the most appealing to me. Very excited about entering the world of Large Format... almost nervous like going on a first date.

You'll probably see a fair bit of me asking annoying questions but just thouht I'd say hi.

hi!

Lachlan717

Re: new member introduction

Postby Lachlan717 » 16 Oct 2013, 05:49

Hi, Alex, and welcome to the Forum.

While you don't specify what type(s) of photography you favour, I suspect that you're heading back to Tassie for landscapes.

If so, there are not too many cameras I would consider less suitable for away-from-the-car landscapes than a Sinar. Admittedly, the F series is a bit better than the P series, but these are more suited to studio and/or architecture.

What's the reasoning behind this camera if it is for landscapes?

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 16 Oct 2013, 15:55

Cheers
well I've been doing a bit of reading and quite a few people say that the F2 really isn't all that heavy (4kg's roughly with a lens or so) coupled with a tripod and holders and what have you I guess you'd be looking still under 8 kilos. My Hasseblad bag weighs a fair bit (camera, 3 lenses, 2 film backs, heavy ass tripod, film, book, filters etc) and I've walked around with that all day. Afew people have said that they havent had a problem walking for a medium period of time with the F2, but in saying that a lot of people have said that it is impractical. I am relatively strong, and used to do a lot of compound lifting. I have been very keeen on it, but also been pointed towards the chamonix 045n2?

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 16 Oct 2013, 19:42

Alex,

It's not the weight that puts me off these; it's the design.

Having tried to use a monorail camera (Horseman) in the field, I'd strongly suggest considering a folding/field camera. Less bulk and quicker to set up/pack up.

Not that the Sinars are bad cameras; just that I believe that there are much better choices for field work.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 16 Oct 2013, 19:46

BTW, Chamonix are good cameras, as are Shen Hao, Wista, Tachi, Linhof, Deardorff, Ebony, Lotus, etc.

Only one I'd actively tell you to avoid is the Bender/Bulldog DIY cameras.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 16 Oct 2013, 21:28

Welcome Alex,

You'll enjoy the Sinar F2. I have one and nothing comes close. I have also had P2 and I have always preferred the F2. The centre of gravity of the F2 is directly over the rail clamp. With the P2 the centre of gravity is way off to the side and so the camera is always trying to rotate to the side.

I also have a Linhof Master Technika which stays in the car because it is so portable, but to use it is a real shit of a thing.

Recently I had a look at a Chamonix and, as nice as some of the design might be, it is technically unacceptable to me. I would not give a moment's consideration to any of the wooden field cameras. They might be light, but that's about it.

The Sinar F2 will afford you precision, calculated movements, in all situations. And if you get a late model F2 with separate locks for lateral shift and swing, it is simple to maintain absolute control.

Any Sinar (except the Handy) is a bitch to get to location — not just the weight but also the bulk of the carry case — but once you get it to where you want it nothing else can function with the same surety.

i have had a couple of F series 8x10s and they are excellent also and even more bulky.

If you get to Sydney at any time you are welcome to drop by and have a run through of the myriad features.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 17 Oct 2013, 06:01

"I would not give a moment's consideration to any of the wooden field cameras. They might be light, but that's about it."

Explains why there was not a single decent photo taken before the first metal camera was introduced.

What a ridiculous statement.

FrankL

Postby FrankL » 17 Oct 2013, 21:05

Welcome Alex,

I started my LF photography carting an old 4x5 Cambo SC, then a Cambo 45SF around in NZ, Middle East and Japan. When I was barely able to walk anymore, and shown the ultrasound pictures of my lower vertebrae I realized not only how impractical it was carrying monorails around but also the damage they were doing just wasn't worth it.

My first folder was (and still is) an Ebony SV45ti. Precision in a wooden folder, and a 4x5 kit that fits in a small backpack! Bliss.

Good Luck.
/Frank

Marc Morel

Postby Marc Morel » 18 Oct 2013, 12:42

"I would not give a moment's consideration to any of the wooden field cameras. They might be light, but that's about it."

I agree with Lachlan! That's daft - I've carted my very wooden Wista around the world with a variety of lenses (65/135/300mm) and have never had any cause for complaint beyond my own forgetfulness or idiocy. Heaps of movement and flexibility, and when you're lugging stuff up a mountain, I would not be discounting weight so easily :-)

Still - you'll soon find what you like - years ago I lugged an old Graflex View 'art deco' monorail around, and that did me fine, even though it was as ergonomic to cart about as a sack of flour with spikes sticking out of it. Folding cameras are a bit kinder in that regard.

Marc!

Geoff Roberts

Postby Geoff Roberts » 18 Oct 2013, 15:34

There are monorails that are pretty easy to carry around, such as the Arca Swiss F or Toyo Vx125. The catch with these two is that they will set you back a bit. I have the Arca, and it packages up quickly and easily into a very small package, and the weight is fine. I regularly carry it 5km+ in a shoulder bag wandering the streets. I am planning on buying a back pack for it to make things easier.

The Sinar F2 is a good option. Great camera and very affordable, and not too bad to carry.

Return to “Community Chat”