Sinar Buy-Out

Walter Glover

Sinar Buy-Out

Postby Walter Glover » 30 Nov 2013, 10:14

Word to hand through the week that Sinar has been purchased by Leica. And Leica are no longer handled through Adeal but have established their own company in Melbourne.

Sinar distribution in Australia is still through Capture Scan Print (David Kay).
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Geoff Roberts

Re: Sinar Buy-Out

Postby Geoff Roberts » 01 Dec 2013, 13:24

I wonder what they're planning. A technical version of the S2 perhaps? Some Leica large format lenses would be sweet for those who have recently won lotto and wish to spend the lot in one go.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 01 Dec 2013, 13:51

I ventured forth yesterday with e Sinar and got defeated by the weather. But even having it, with the heavier tripod, in the back of the van prompted a switch to the Linhof last night. In practice the Linhof is a bitch but getting it to the shot is a cinch. I must be getting old or weak.

I have seen some files of the S2 Leica and they are nothing short of staggering. But as you say, Geoff, a king's ransom and then some.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 01 Dec 2013, 17:11

My prediction is that Leica will amortise its investment in S2 optics by remounting them to fit an all movements precision mini view camera preserving Carl Koch's brilliant Sinar design. As for the costs they don't matter if the pro photographer's customers will pay the lot via appropriate invoicing. I've always chuckled at pro wannabees who buy themselves a $40 000 sports car (which won't pay them a cent) and then moan about $15 000 for studio flash gear that could feed their children.

Return to “Community Chat”