What a Relief — Phew!!

Walter Glover

What a Relief — Phew!!

Postby Walter Glover » 30 Nov 2014, 22:19

I had shot 24 sheets of HP5+ of my American muse. I processed the first 12 sheets in two Mod54 inserts in a paterson tank.

When I was done loading the film into the tanks I opened up the Harrison tent forgetting all about the fact that the remaining 12 sheets had not been closed in the light tight double film box. Oh shit no! FOGGED!.

In the meantime, I was dissatisfied with the evenness of the processing in the Mod54s — I was using Diafine two-bath. So, now I set up my run of 1 gallon deep tanks. The deep tanks restrict me to processing at night because the room is not fully light tight — but hey, what the heck.

Well tonight was the test of the system using the fogged film because if I stuffed up it would not matter. Or so I thought.

The process went swimmingly and I just got through hanging the negs to dry. Only the top sheet of film is badly fogged. All the others are only fogged on the edges. And them, not even as far as all of the rebate. I got 11 out of 12 usable negs from the second batch. AND the development look a lot more even.

I am happy!
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: What a Relief — Phew!!

Postby Maris » 02 Dec 2014, 08:31

Crikey, some people have all the luck. Walter, you use a trick developer in a trick developing tank. To compound things you faff about with a fancy changing bag. Then you get by without a proper darkroom. All this to culminate an important project that you might not be able to re-shoot. And then you lose only one frame. Did I say some people are lucky?

Contrast this with my last shoot where I did everything right. I used an unknown Grafmatic film holder containing Tri-X 4x5 that was 14 years out of date. The lens had uncertain shutter speeds. I developed the film in used paper strength Dektol that a colleague had abandoned in the darkroom sink. In the end I only lost two frames (the best ones of course) and the "good" negs had a curious brown tinge. I should get lucky. Maybe I should go to church more.

Tongue in cheek, of course!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Dec 2014, 10:05

Thanks Maris,

I would call a line of deep tanks 'trick' — back in the day I processed countless thousands of sheets and rolls in the trusty old Kodak 3 gallon deep tanks with a floating lid for the developer.

They are ideal with the Diafine which I love so much ..... and it was the c leanest process I have had excepting for the stuff that came out the other end of the Jobo. But I NEVER really felt comfortable with the constant agitation thingy.

Cheers mate,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 02 Dec 2014, 13:10

A line of deep tanks evoke a nostalgic sigh. That was the way to get a lot of sheet film processed in short order. And the solutions would last forever under the floating lids. All that was needed was to replenish regularly to compensate for evaporation and carry over. I got at my deep tanks with an electric drill and spade bit so I could grow basil, chives, and coriander in them. Very tasty!

alex gard

Postby alex gard » 11 Dec 2014, 14:01

Walter,

I got given a tip by another MOD54 user who suggested leaving the two inner-most slots of the mod54 empty, so you are only processing four sheets at a time as opposed to 6.

He and others have agreed that the two innermost slots seem to be the biggest offenders for producing uneven development. Since developing only 4 sheets at a time I have had no issues with uneven development.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 28 Dec 2014, 09:54

Walter, are you using hangers? That what i would use if I could get my hands on some.

Return to “Community Chat”