Mixing and keeping D-76.

Light, film, exposure..
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Mixing and keeping D-76.

Postby Alastair Moore » 29 Jul 2012, 20:10

Quick question about mixing D-76. Don't really want to/need to mix an entire 3.8 litres of D-76 at this point in time. Is there any issue in mixing half the powder now and half the powder at a later date? Or should I just mix the entire lot and shoot/develop more? :) How long does D-76 keep and what do you keep it in?

Cheers,

Welly

smbooth

Re: Mixing and keeping D-76.

Postby smbooth » 30 Jul 2012, 13:12

I would mixed the complete bag and put in into 500ml bottles, squese the air out and do the lid up. Should keep a long time that way.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 30 Jul 2012, 23:53

That makes sense. I hear there are certain bottles you should avoid using. I forget which but I understand standard coke bottles should be good to go?

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 31 Jul 2012, 09:57

I just used 500ml water bottles. I believe wine bladders work just as well and you can put the whole volume into one bladder

Barrie B.

Postby Barrie B. » 08 Aug 2012, 10:18

Welly ,
ALWAYS MIX ALL OF any powder developer. - NEVER TRY TO DIVIDE > (as there is no way of getting all ingredients properly mixed , either their weight of grain size )

I always mix the full 3.8 litre lot once , store in various sized BROWN Glass bottles filled to brim . ( I have over the years I have collected many 200ml & 250ml brown glass screw-top bottles from cough balsalms,etc )

As I always use D-76 as 1:1 dilution I find it a great developer to have in my D/room , I have used D-76 from these bottles at 12 months of age with no problems . However most years I use up this quantity within six months .

........................... Cheers Barrie B. Melbourne .
------------------
B T W -- GOOD LUCK with this forum .

John Austin

Postby John Austin » 11 Aug 2012, 10:14

D76 = The older the better - My deep tank of D76d was made up on the 3rd May 1985 and has been used with replenishment ever since - Like me, it continues to improve with age

Tech note, I use the partial replacement of stock in addition to replenisher method and make regular zone VIII and XI tests which are measured with a densitometer to enable me to correct the replenishment regime if necessary

For more info' or to send me an exposed sheet of film for test development please PM me

John

Return to “The Negative”