Postby Walter Glover » 12 Mar 2016, 03:16

Bleak weather in a bombarded ruin.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: Castle Ruin, Oban

Postby Maris » 14 Mar 2016, 08:44

That's not the usual view of Dunollie Castle that one sees. But it's a better landscape picture, I reckon, because of the horizon. Instead of the usual horizon line wandering from part way up left to part way up right this one shoots out the top - visually striking. If one desires a reward for a fine picture of the castle it's worth noting that the walk to the famous Oban distillery is not so long; should one be motivated.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 14 Mar 2016, 10:14

Thanks Maris,

The distillery was visited and the produce savoured. In the main drag of town was a "Cheese & Wine" shop. Lying bastards, there were only about half a dozen wines! But there was a choice of over 180 single malts. And a refrigerated cabinet of varietal cheeses from local dairies, all made with unpasteurised milk. HEAVEN!!

And here is the castle from about a mile off showing the gate house at water level. Perhaps a tad more chocolate box than my usual approach. Oban is a ferry town for transit to the Hebrides and beyond.

Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Mar 2016, 19:51

Perhaps this is my preferred long shot variant where the enormity of the rock platform upon which the castle is built is clearly defined,

Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”