Recommendation on lab processing Velvia?

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 23 Jan 2017, 21:48

Ideally in Sydney, but I would post within country if need be...

Walter Glover

Re: Recommendation on lab processing Velvia?

Postby Walter Glover » 24 Jan 2017, 02:47

Here is what is left of what was the best of the Sydney E-6 labs. They areat Danks Street, Waterloo.
http://www.visionimagelab.com.au

They use dip and dunk and a problem arises in that to work at its best, dip and dunk requires substantial regular daily throughput and that just doesn't happen these days.

It might be best searching around for someone using one-shopt processing (such as a Jobo). You could try here, but I'd do a test run forst:
https://maps.apple.com/place?address=45 ... 0Super%208

Let us all know how you get on.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

mark.darragh

Postby mark.darragh » 24 Jan 2017, 15:10

+ 1 Vision Image Lab

I send my E-6 8x10 to them and 4x5 if I have a large amount. I can highly recommend their service.

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 25 Jan 2017, 00:15

Has anyone done any e6 at vision recently? I can't afford to gamble having the film stuffed due to dev.

I am also open to sending within au. Or even overseas, but it has to make sense, time and cost wise.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 25 Jan 2017, 03:44

It is a few years since I had some E-6 processed at Vision Lab. If memory serves correctly the process was fine.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 26 Jan 2017, 21:48

Hmmmm.. how can I get them to guarantee that the process is fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 06 Feb 2017, 03:54

L2obin wrote:Hmmmm.. how can I get them to guarantee that the process is fine?

There comes a time in all aspects of life when you just have to suck it and see. Shoot a test and have it processed. I'd even suggest that you shoot a few sheets as a test and send each to a different lab. Assess the results and then send real images to you lab of choice.

The best answer is, as it always has been, to buy a Jobo and process your colour in a one-shot system.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

mark.darragh

Postby mark.darragh » 06 Feb 2017, 17:40

Those few labs that are still processing E-6 have made a commitment to maintaining their chemistry etc and, as professional labs, stand or fall by the quality of there work.

Anecdotally, the two labs here in Melbourne processing E-6 seem to be running good volumes, which helps to maintain the stability of their chemistry. I would imagine that the situation is similar for those in Sydney.

If you have not used transparency film before, there is a definitely a learning curve in determining “correct” exposure and getting to know the contrast latitude of the film, particularly with Velvia RVP 50. I can speak from personal experience that you are far more likely to ruin a sheet/s of Velvia through user error rather than the lab botching the processing.

As Walter has suggested, it pays to do some homework before you embark on a critical shoot with a particular film and shooting an extra sheet or two at the time doesn’t hurt either (except, perhaps, your wallet).

I’m sure any of the labs mentioned would be happy to have to chat to you about your concerns too.

Return to “Resources”