Nuclear Physicist, Retired.

Maris

Nuclear Physicist, Retired.

Postby Maris » 02 Apr 2017, 08:55

Nuclear Physicist, Retired
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.6cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.
John had endless and entertaining stories about the mistakes, mishandlings, and near misses at the Lucas Heights Reactor. No radiation got outside the fence, no one got badly burned, no news was good news.

Walter Glover

Re: Nuclear Physicist, Retired.

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Apr 2017, 15:36

How heart-warming to see another pipe smoker! Perhaps a difference might be that he can still afford 50g of baccy. I don't think I can.

Great character displayed through your portrait, Maris! Love it.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 04 Apr 2017, 07:30

Very high impact photograph, not sure about the inclusion of both hands though.

I can understand one hand holding the pipe, with maybe the other stroking the beard if it is to be included, but, somehow, I think it would be far stronger with just one hand in the frame.

Apart from that nitpicking, it is really a striking image and shows just why a triple extension camera is great; along with the ability to operate it extremely well.

Mick.

Ps:- Love the included self portrait.

Maris

Postby Maris » 04 Apr 2017, 08:41

The old physicist was a eccentric loner, almost a hermit, but he had two good amigos - nicotine and alcohol. He thought he'd bring a friend along for the portrait shoot; hence the pipe and baccy. And he liked mirror sunglasses too; hence the selfie.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Apr 2017, 09:44

oooh, dear?!?!
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Apr 2017, 09:51

Maris,

I am curious about the aperture that you chose to shoot at. It has certainly contributed to a wonderfully silken rendition of the back lit hair.

Your 8x10s always evoke a modicum of regret that I reached the fork in the path some years back and chose the 4x5 track rather than sticking with the 8x10. When I did shoot the 8x10 I preferred shooting people with a 1947 Kodak Portrait lens which I would essentially shoot with wide open. Worked wondrously well and gave lustrous radiance to any subject — particularly when I contact printed — and wasn't that always?
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 05 Apr 2017, 08:11

Exposure for the old bloke was 1/90 sec at f16. I wanted the background out of focus so I chose the widest aperture I could use with 400 speed film in "bright" open shade. The 1/90 sec is the fastest speed my Copal #3 shutter could deliver. Sure, the shutter speed dial is marked 1/125 sec but I've never found a Copal #3 that actually delivers this.
There is a little back tilt on the camera to get the pipe, tobacco tin, and sunglasses in the plane of focus.

andrewch59

Postby andrewch59 » 24 Apr 2017, 12:12

The fujinon w lenses are so underrated. I have a 150mm and its proving to be a little gem.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 26 Apr 2017, 08:56

andrewch59 wrote:The fujinon w lenses are so underrated.

Andrew,

I suspect that the same could be said for much of the Fujinon range — especially where LF is concerned. I recall that in my 8x10 days I had a couple of long focal length lenses that were absolute crackers ...... maybe compact 600 and 800 if memory serves.

I sold all the stuff (including the Toyo 810M MkII to a mate who has made a name for himself shooting Laye Eyre and Greenland making quite enormous colour prints and selling for top prices in London.

I wonder if part of the issue these days is that manufacturers and marketers no longer support magazines and so their advertisements and PR Releases are nowhere to be found.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

andrewch59

Postby andrewch59 » 26 Apr 2017, 09:32

Walter, the exhibition I am holding in Stanthorpe, I have had to host groups of school children. The beauty of anologue is that it is now a new art form in a the digital age.

Return to “People”