Fallen Poplar, Lake Jindabyne.

Maris

Fallen Poplar, Lake Jindabyne.

Postby Maris » 02 Feb 2018, 11:58

Fallen Poplar, Lake Jindabyne
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.7cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

The poplar tree had no fault. Lake Jindabyne is an impoundment within the Snowy Mountain Scheme and suffers large changes of level according to water demand elsewhere. The tree, supported by unusually wet earth, could not resist a heavy blow whistling down from the mountains. Bad luck comes uninvited.

Bazz8

Re: Fallen Poplar, Lake Jindabyne.

Postby Bazz8 » 02 Feb 2018, 15:49

The intentional framing holds your eye to the fallen subject
I like it
Maris

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 03 Feb 2018, 12:49

Maris, bad luck for the fallen tree has turned into good luck for yourself. You have taken advantage of something photogenic, where others may have dismissed it and walked on.

One aspect I really like, is that the central point of interest is the brightest part of the picture. Whether or not you had any hand in darkening the tree tops and sky, I have no idea, but that darkened part really makes the main point of interest stand out.

Nicely done.

Mick.

Maris

Postby Maris » 03 Feb 2018, 12:53

Thanks Bazz8 for the kudo. The natural framing of the scene virtually demanded that the camera be set up exactly there. The only option was to wait for that dark little cloud to add to the poignancy of the scene.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Feb 2018, 04:37

The glorious atmospherics your've excelled at making part of your narrative here, Maris, really do turn this lake-side memento mori into quite a lavish requiem.

Empsises the fact, for me, that photography is as much about feeling as seeing.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 12 Feb 2018, 12:24

Such kind words from Mick and Walter. Yes, the top of the photograph is darkened with a little burning in to put a "lid" on the scene and keep the glow on the central subject. The unfortunate tree still carried its beautiful autumn foliage ... pulchre morte.

Return to “Things”