Lake Doonella, Sunset.

Maris

Lake Doonella, Sunset.

Postby Maris » 18 Sep 2018, 09:33

Lake Doonella, Sunset.
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.2cm X 21.5cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f8 lens.
In this day and age it must be an odd thing for a man to lug a large camera to the shore of a lake and photograph a glorious sunset in black and white.

Mick Fagan

Re: Lake Doonella, Sunset.

Postby Mick Fagan » 18 Sep 2018, 15:09

I wouldn't say it was an odd thing to photograph a glorious colour scene with B&W film; perverse, may be more accurate. :mrgreen:

Whatever your motive was, it is well liked by myself. Love the centrally placed mountain, which looks like a pyramid.

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Sep 2018, 22:51

"In this day and age it must be an odd thing for a man to lug a large camera to the shore of a lake and photograph a glorious sunset in black and white."

Why? We all know that black & white provides the best colour there is?

This is yet another excellent outcome, Maris, and I thank you for sticking to your guns and sharing it.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 19 Sep 2018, 14:24

Thanks Mick and Walter. Part of my motivation was to do a sunset without it being the usual screamin' cliche. A retreat to black and white cured that...maybe. The mountain is Mt Cooroy and I try to nick it somewhere into the frame if possible. The idea is a direct crib from Hokusai's 36 Views of Mount Fuji. Stealing ideas from the masters is a form of homage isn't it?

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 19 Sep 2018, 18:41

"The idea is a direct crib from Hokusai's 36 Views of Mount Fuji. Stealing ideas from the masters is a form of homage isn't it?"

Yep, plus you did it with a Japanese camera to boot.

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 20 Sep 2018, 05:23

Maybe by serendipity, maybe as a nuisamce, but certainly ubiquitous is a situation in Sydney where the Centrepoint Tower (the "Bucket") is very oftem entrenched in metropolitan skylines.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”