Dead Tree in Sun, Girraween.

RoganJosh

Dead Tree in Sun, Girraween.

Postby RoganJosh » 13 Nov 2018, 18:37

Once again I'm making a mockery of these forums by being off-topic but for those of you who are interested, this is what I've been doing since I sold my LF camera. As much as I enjoyed printing traditionally it was never quite tactile enough for my liking. So I decided to start screenprinting my photographs onto canvas. I've been doing it for a few years now but only recently have I had the technical ability to go really large.

Here is a photo I took with my Super 23 during my recent Girraween trip.

The resulting screenprint. 80 x 100cm acrylic on canvas.

Mick Fagan

Re: Dead Tree in Sun, Girraween.

Postby Mick Fagan » 13 Nov 2018, 20:56

Very interesting, I like the technique and this image, not quite in the same style as Andy Warhol, but a definite likeness.

His silk screen stuff is very interesting, more so in the flesh. I was able to see some at an exhibition in Germany, in the flesh they are really something.

Care to elaborate on your basic process?

Mick.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 14 Nov 2018, 11:28

It was Warhol's Melbourne exhibition that convinced me to take screenprinting more seriously. The Death and Disaster series is quite amazing up close.

My technique isn't unlike Warhol's, just pushing paint through a screen. I think Warhol hired professionals to make his screens but the process isn't that difficult anyway. You just coat the screen with liquid emulsion, let it dry and then expose with UV while the negative sits on top. It's all very simple if you've come from a darkroom printing background.

Going big is the only real hard part as it presents a host of technical issues... much like photography.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 02 Dec 2018, 12:19

Thank you for the explanation.

Are you going further with this technique, or are you happy with where you are?

In the eighties there was a fair amount of Worhol copying in the advertising world; imitation was certainly quite flattering to him I thought.

Mick.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 02 Dec 2018, 14:37

Well I generally like what I do for about a week, then I start hating it. The next step is to use a much finer dpi and rounded halftone dots like my smaller scale works, this will make them appear more like a photograph than the above screenprint. I've never seen a large scale, high dpi landscape screenprint, hopefully it looks ok :|

Return to “Places”