House in Wallace

Mick Fagan

House in Wallace

Postby Mick Fagan » 02 Dec 2018, 12:37

We visited some friends a couple of weeks ago, on the way home we decided to stop somewhere and have some food and play a game of scrabble, as you do. I headed to Wallace as I knew there was a Butter factory there from the many times I traversed Ballarat Road (highway) in the seventies; before the freeway.

It turned out to be a very fruitful stop, upon seeing the condition of the closest house still standing near the old Butter factory, I couldn't resist pulling the camera out before the scrabble got underway. If you search for "Where is Wallace Victoria", the maps goes directly to the area, follow the old highway about 100m east of the factory and you can see this house in 2009. It was in slightly better repair and the grass was mowed, but.... the external bath was there 9 years ago. :mrgreen:

Shen Hao HZX45-IIA, Fujinon 90 1/30 at f/22, Ilford FP4+, no filter, 10mm rise.

Luckily it was taken at 1454 hr before the house became partially shaded from trees. During the ensuing scrabble game, I noted the change in the light dynamic; which was downwards.

Mick.

180018_House_Wallace_90_Ilford_FP4_No_Filter_F22_1-30_10mm_Rise_004_Web.jpg

Mick Fagan

Re: House in Wallace

Postby Mick Fagan » 02 Dec 2018, 17:42

Well, as luck would have it, I exposed another sheet 9 minutes later, more side on. I was looking at the negs on the light table and couldn't resist scanning this one. I like the house better, but the steel factory at the rear is quite distracting; at least that is what I thought.

Shen Hao HZX45-IIA, Fujinon 90 1/30 at f/22, Ilford FP4+, no filter, no rise.

Mick.

180019_House_Wallace_90_Ilford_FP4_No_Filter_F22_1-30_No_Rise_005_Web.jpg

Maris

Postby Maris » 04 Dec 2018, 11:02

Brilliant and so poignant. That rose(?) bush under the front window flourishes beautifully in neglect. The uncut lawn not so much.
Mick, shooting only 2 sheets of film in 9 minutes is utterly disciplined. With a subject like this I might have let loose and exposed (wasted?) a dozen.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 04 Dec 2018, 16:54

Thank you Maris.

Not too flash happy with the multiple exposures these days, that said, I can sometimes let loose. However, I only travel with 6 sheets of FP4+, 4 sheets of Bergger and 4 sheets of Foma loaded at any time. Loading more is easy as I only need to walk back to the camper to unload reload in my changing tent.

On our last longer trip, which was to the Gulf of Carpentaria and associated areas, mainly far westen QLD down alongside the NT border and down to the SA border; we were away in our camper for three months. I had a 100 sheet box of FP4+ as well as a 50 sheet box of Bergger Pancro 400 and a 50 sheet box of Foma 400. I cannot be totally sure, but somewhere around 60 sheets in total was my usage, mainly FP4+, then the Bergger, followed by the Foma. I wouldn't say I match the film correctly to the subject, but I try.

I did think about putting the 250 on and walking back for a very much longer front/side view; maybe next time if it is still standing.

Mick.

Return to “Things”