2 new ambrotypes

alexgard

2 new ambrotypes

Postby alexgard » 08 Jul 2019, 20:33

been a while

going with 5½ x 14 inches for a while, really enjoying this format. I'm just using the inserts that go in my 11x14 plate holder.
I'm hoping to get about a dozen of these panoramas together of nice classic Tasmanian landscapes for a more solid body of work to exhibit. I just got a great job at the best picture framers in Hobart so I can frame all my own work for cost price which is fantastic. Got some greeat ideas for presenting them I can't wait to play with.

I've just ordered some Spectrum Black and Ruby glass too which should be extra magical (strangely hard to get hold of down here)

sorry I'm really bad at editing the scans so they all look differently toned.

Good to be back in the swing of it. Missed the smell of collodion and lavendar-scented sandarac varnish.

"Echos on Lake Echo"

I find the image quite pleasing, the perfectly mirrored reflections in the water of the hills and trees almost give the impression of a digital soundwave. A favourite spot of mine.

4min 8sec exposure @ f45, 10 seconds development, 240mm G-Claron

Tunbridge Hills

This was my first revisit to this spot to re-acquaint myself with the process. My chemistry was old and dusty and light leaks galore in my van/darkroom but I'm still happy with the plate.

32 sec exposure @ f16, 15 seconds development, 240mm G-Claron

Maris

Re: 2 new ambrotypes

Postby Maris » 10 Jul 2019, 13:24

Good ones Alex! I saw these first on LFPF but these Australian pictures embellish this Australian site so sweetly, so appropriately.
"Echos on Lake Echo " is glorious and you have spirits of the place collaborating generously with your old collodion. "Tunbridge Hills" is wild. Nobody sees this stuff like you do: a genuinely unique vision in these days when everything is photographed daily by millions.

Walter Glover

Re: 2 new ambrotypes

Postby Walter Glover » 16 Jul 2019, 05:04

True1. It has been a while Alex, but well worth the wait. So much to like, so much to contemplate. ighly rewarding.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”