Temperature controlled developing system

Light, film, exposure..
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Temperature controlled developing system

Postby Alastair Moore » 20 Aug 2012, 18:28

Rather a grand title, I know, but have just bought some accessories to make my temperature controlling a little more effective. I purchased a fish tank heater and a low power water pump.

The plan is to use this in a large developing tray with my chemicals in measuring jugs and getting those up to heat before pouring them into the tanks for developing. I'm trying to figure out a system to temper the trays while I develop but that'll be part two. I've found the chemicals keep their temperature pretty well in the trays so the second part might not be necessary. But it's mainly the initial warming up the water that annoys me most so this is a cheap and cheerful way to try and knock that problem on the head. Photos up when I get the system going!

Walter Glover

Re: Temperature controlled developing system

Postby Walter Glover » 20 Aug 2012, 18:46

Alastair,

I recommend brewers' mats available from home-brew suppliers.

The one I patronise is under the grandstand at North Sydney Oval — Dave's .... https://daveshomebrew.com.au/index.php? ... e&Itemid=1
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 22 Aug 2012, 07:42

If the ambient temperature in the room is around 17-20degC the tray temperature should not drop quick enough to be a concern, I just like the fish heater idea so be interested to see how it goes. I'm thinking about cutting a old crock pot down so it only has a 50mm lip and see if that works on simmer. Although I think it still may be to hot for B&W. ATM I just mixed hot and cold to get around 25degC for a water bath.

John Austin

Postby John Austin » 22 Aug 2012, 15:30

I use fish tank heaters and have done since setting up my current deep tank line in 1985 - Keeping priorities in mind I use my brewing heaters for brewing

As a side thought, how long do people here keep their deep tanks going before scraping out the dead rats from the bottom of the tanks? - So far my D76d has been going since 3rd May 1985, like me it continues to improve with age - However, it must be stated that there is little likely hood of any molecules of original dev' in the tanks and I use a very rigorous replenishment system with regular zone VIII and XI readings on a calibrated digital densitometer - The only good digital device I can find

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 22 Aug 2012, 17:06

What I ended up doing last night was filling a large tray with water close to 20c and then using the aquarium heater and an air pump to get the temperature up to 20c while I went about my business setting everything else up and 20 minutes later, the water was exactly 20c to the mark. I used this water to fill my trays and they all kept their temperature nicely. It's not the perfect system but it worked and took less time than my normal process with almost no effort and no stress!

My chemistry gets used once and then I pour it into a container that I'll eventually take to whoever will take it. Not figured out who that is yet!

I'm hanging on until I can get a place with a second room that I can convert into a dark room and set up a proper system. At the moment it's a put up/pull down darkroom in my bathroom.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 24 Aug 2012, 15:00

Whats the air pump for?

My idea with the crock pot was a fizzer, to hot like 40degree C. I might try your idea with a fish tank heater and insulated water container you use camping which should help keep heat stable.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 24 Aug 2012, 18:49

The air pump is just to get the water circulating a bit otherwise it can heat up just one part of the bath.

Return to “The Negative”