First solo development of 120 film

Light, film, exposure..
Walter Glover

Re: First solo development of 120 film

Postby Walter Glover » 06 Oct 2012, 09:58

For a start, the Ilford Time & Temperature chart is a reasonable starting point for varying development time for differences in temperature.

For donkey's years I have standardised on 24º C summer and winter because the Sydney water supply is as near as damn it to 24º in summer and so I can keep one set of times all year 'round.

I had tested a great many Film/Developer combinations using the BTZS method including TMX and Rodinal. But it dawns on me now that the BTZS software was PC only and so I had my files on a PC up at Vanbar. Their computer died and they trashed it, along with all my test results.

Looking up Anchell & Troop, their recommendation for T-Max100 in Rodinal 1+50 at 100 ISO is @ 20ºC is 12 minutes which I consider to be a couple of minutes too long. I have used T-Max100 in Rodinal 1+100 and that was only 11 minutes.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 06 Oct 2012, 10:03

Silly me, I have should have added:

5 minute pre-soak.

Constant gentle agitation for the first 30 seconds followed by 5 seconds gentle agitation every minute thereafter.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

jars121

Postby jars121 » 06 Oct 2012, 10:23

Thanks for that Walter! I was in the Hartley region all day yesterday shooting with a mate (what a fantastic area for 617!), and I just developed a 617 roll of TMax 100 in Rodinal at 1:25 @ 20 degrees for 9 minutes, and from what I can see of the negative, it looks really good! The emulsion is clear and free of any mould/dirt, and the images appear to be nice and sharp. I'm heading to work now, but will hopefully have time to scan and upload a frame or two tonight.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 06 Oct 2012, 10:42

I'd just be concerned that the high values may get a bit clogged for enlarger printing at 9 minutes. I seem to recall that about 6 minutes did the trick.

Nothing beats testing your own system in your own conditions, though.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “The Negative”