Imacon Scanners

Discuss digital capture, processing and printing
Warmtone

Imacon Scanners

Postby Warmtone » 17 Oct 2012, 16:52

I would be interested in finding out if anyone on the forum is using o Flextight Scanner?
If so what has the experience been particularly with software support and challenges with the scisi interface?

I want to upgrade my aging Epson 4870 flatbed and while the epson v700 is good for sheet film it is not optimum for roll film. It's a pity Nikon stopped making scanners as the 9000 ed would be a good choice....... Very few around so considering a good used Imacon
B

jars121

Re: Imacon Scanners

Postby jars121 » 17 Oct 2012, 18:03

I've got the Flextight Photo 'Baby' Imacon. I've always been impressed with this thing. I used it primarily for scanning my 617's, but more and more I'm using it for other MF formats as well. The Flexcolor software is great, I just haven't got round to figuring out the deal with scanning in the 'RAW' .fff format and then editing in photoshop. I stick to 16-bit TIFFS and everything seems to work out fine. I've never used an Epson/Nikon so I can't comment on them, but compared to my drum scanner, the Imacon is a piece of cake.

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 17 Oct 2012, 19:07

jars121 wrote:I've got the Flextight Photo 'Baby' Imacon. I've always been impressed with this thing. I used it primarily for scanning my 617's, but more and more I'm using it for other MF formats as well. The Flexcolor software is great, I just haven't got round to figuring out the deal with scanning in the 'RAW' .fff format and then editing in photoshop. I stick to 16-bit TIFFS and everything seems to work out fine. I've never used an Epson/Nikon so I can't comment on them, but compared to my drum scanner, the Imacon is a piece of cake.

Hi thanks for the feedback.
Are you using a mac or windows? The issue here is the scsi interface that doesen't work on modern computers!

Also what is a reasonable price to pay?
B

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 17 Oct 2012, 19:09

Just realized this post is in the Wrong Place perhaps site admin could move it under Digital?
Thanks
B

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Oct 2012, 19:58

No worries! Have moved it. Never seen or used an Imacon scanner, I'm using a V700 and have scanned both large and medium format with it - both have had great results.

jars121

Postby jars121 » 17 Oct 2012, 20:31

Warmtone wrote:
jars121 wrote:I've got the Flextight Photo 'Baby' Imacon. I've always been impressed with this thing. I used it primarily for scanning my 617's, but more and more I'm using it for other MF formats as well. The Flexcolor software is great, I just haven't got round to figuring out the deal with scanning in the 'RAW' .fff format and then editing in photoshop. I stick to 16-bit TIFFS and everything seems to work out fine. I've never used an Epson/Nikon so I can't comment on them, but compared to my drum scanner, the Imacon is a piece of cake.

Hi thanks for the feedback.
Are you using a mac or windows? The issue here is the scsi interface that doesen't work on modern computers!

Also what is a reasonable price to pay?
B

No problemo. I'm using mine on a Powermac G5 (the Quad-core, water-cooled version if that makes any difference), using the Ratoc SCSI-Firewire adapter. Unfortunately Ratoc no longer offer the adaptor on their website, but I've seen these on eBay from time to time. As far as using the SCSI with a modern computer, I've never had any problems with mine. You have to turn the scanner on before the computer, otherwise it won't recognise the scanner, but that's about the only thing.

As for price, it's really quite hard to say due to the rarity of the scanners. I'm often on eBay UK looking for Imacons, because they are significantly more common and thus cheaper over there. Obviously postage/insurance will be a big issue there, but if you're looking for one in Aus, it may be a while.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 18 Oct 2012, 16:56

Vanbar have just got a new Imacon Flextight and are setting it up today. Won't be cheap to get a scan if there normal prices are anything to got by.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 18 Oct 2012, 17:19

Image Science in Nth Melbourne also uses them.

I've heard good things about them, and they are willing to negotiate bulk discounts...

sharperstill

Postby sharperstill » 19 Oct 2012, 15:24

I sold mine to Jars121 when I got a Precision III.

This one on eBay right now might do you. Item 300796751373

Like Jars121 said the Ratoc adapters are no longer available but work great. If I was in your position I'd look to buy one and pick up an old G4 or G5 mac purely as a scanning machine. I have some SCSI cards that don't fit my machine, should you end up with something that takes PCI-X cards. I think mine, in the quad G5, are PCI-E cards.

All in all, a far better scanner than the V700 in my opinion. I could never get edge to edge sharpness with the V700, even with after-market holders.

Take the time, and Jars121 should to, to learn about the FFF format. It's great, very flexible. If you want a but of a write up about it let me know and give me some time.

Jon

sharperstill

Postby sharperstill » 19 Oct 2012, 15:26

Update: that scanner on eBay includes the Ratoc adaptor. Buy it & don't look back, unless you want to scan larger than MF....

Jon

Return to “Digital”