Photographer at Work, Noosa.

Maris

Photographer at Work, Noosa.

Postby Maris » 24 Aug 2020, 13:14

Photographer at Work, Noosa
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.5cm X 16.3cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Voigtlander Heliar 21cm f4.5 lens.

It's one of those high bright overcast days when the bush shows its true tones and patterns instead of being overlaid with a lattice of shadows and sun patches. My friend Andy Cross has seemingly stared at this spot for nearly two minutes which is long enough for me to set up and photograph him. Perhaps it is true that, of all the practitioners of camera arts, it is large format photographers who are most vulnerable to intense seeing.

Mick Fagan

Re: Photographer at Work, Noosa.

Postby Mick Fagan » 24 Aug 2020, 15:11

You are right, very nice range of tones, could almost do with a slight contrast kick; if one was so inclined.

At times I have been amazed at how quickly I sometimes set my 4x5" camera up, yet other times I seem to take forever. I can very well understand your friend's reticence as he contemplates what to focus on.

His Benbo Mk1 tripod is a pretty good choice, looks like he has the standard 50mm ball head with a friction screw; very effective unit. I have three Benbo tripods, picked my first one up in Germany in March 1985, they weren't at that time available in Australia. Originally called Kennett Bent Bolt Tripod, very quickly shortened to BenBo then Benbo; which in both cases is an abbreviation of BEnt BOlt. The rubber styled ends of the legs do crack, but replacements are available. Hardly used any of mine since getting my Berlebach tripod.

Mick.

Maris

Re: Photographer at Work, Noosa.

Postby Maris » 25 Aug 2020, 13:53

Yes Mick, a "contrast kick" would be in order but, rather than confess a fault, I blame the 1948 vintage 21cm Voigtlander lens: bad single coating and a major separation in the front doublet. It's buttery smooth for portraits but for "trees against the sky" landscapes not so good.

Tripods! Tripods? I've got ten of them stacked up but the one under the Tachihara 4x5 is a Gitzo G1228 Mountaineer. This was the first carbon fibre tripod on the Australian market and I think mine was from the original batch. Cost about $1000 with magnesium ball-head but it had to be possessed; gear acquisition madness.

Return to “People”