Connie

Maris

Connie

Postby Maris » 18 Sep 2020, 10:03

Connie
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.5cm X 16.3cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Voigtlander Heliar 21cm f4.5 lens.

"Look fierce and scowl at the lens", and she did, and she did it wonderfully.

Mick Fagan

Re: Connie

Postby Mick Fagan » 18 Sep 2020, 14:14

Quite an arresting portrait, you certainly had my attention from the get go.

Looks like you were quite close and used a fairly wide aperture, something like f/8 maybe?

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 20 Sep 2020, 17:04

Aaaah, those ads in camera magazines back in the day:
Voigtländer ....... because the lens is so good.

My first proper camera when I was leaving school was a Mamiyaflex C2 with a Mamiya-Sekor 105mm 1:3.5 lens which was an absolute cracker and, I believe it was a Heliar design.

The 'directing' is to be applauded in the way it cohesively fits with the no frills lighting and pseudo-forensic probing with the Heliar-clad camera.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 26 Sep 2020, 13:45

Thanks Mick and Walter.
The Voigtlander Heliar 21cm f4.5 is a bit of a cult lens but I was fortunate to get mine for free from Eric Owen the famous camera repair guru. Seems a customer came to Eric to get the lens fixed but blanched at the $450 quote (re-build shutter, re-cement lens elements) and officially abandoned it. Eric passed it to me and I got the shutter working, sort of. The Connie as "feral sauvage" portrait was shot at f5.6 with a careless extra stop added via the shutter. Big film is so forgiving of added exposure especially for a portrait in the shade.

Return to “People”