Nostalgic Self Portrait

Walter Glover

Nostalgic Self Portrait

Postby Walter Glover » 08 Dec 2020, 13:18

Goodness me, here's a test to see if I remember how to post an image here — with the text & formatting from my FB page (sorry):
F I R S T • W G • P H O T O • E V E R
WAVERLEY, N.S.W. — (~1956) 2000
Two days of contending with Adobe and Epson and killing time sorting through thousands of negatives I came across this one and could think of none better to kick off the new scans than a spot of self-plagiarism. For Christmas, when I was 7 years old, I wanted (and received) a camera for Christmas and have thought of bugger all else ever since. I conspired with my school mate, Russell, about what would be the first picture to take, after all film was not cheap @ 4s 9d a roll so it mustn't be wasted. Up at Waverley Park the water pumping station on top of the hill was the closest we Bondi boys had ever seen to a castle or fort, so off we went. I consider it a real bonus that I've always remembered that day. In 2000 another mate, Phillip Hayson, and I returned to the scene of the crime to remake that first photograph. The original was long gone, but seeing the re-enactment it dawned on me that inherent traits of what became my visual philosophy or language were alive and well on that first encounter with my life-long addiction.
ImageWaverley Water Pump Portrait
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: Nostalgic Self Portrait

Postby Maris » 12 Dec 2020, 09:31

Aha, not all selfies have to be taken at arm's length. This one certainly has a grandeur about it; subject and background both.

Walter Glover

Re: Nostalgic Self Portrait

Postby Walter Glover » 12 Dec 2020, 09:43

Thank you. Maris. Not too many 'selfies' shot on 4x5 sheet film either.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “People”