Nude Reclining in Tree

Maris

Nude Reclining in Tree

Postby Maris » 13 Feb 2023, 14:27

Nude Reclining in Tree
Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 21.5cm, from a 4x5 Kodak High Speed Infrared film exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f8 lens and a #25 red filter.
A very patient model and one of my last sheets of Kodak HIE prompted this earnest exercise in pursuing negative spaces - triangles and irregular ovals.
The tiny bright triangle in the middle and the grazing highlight near it were a bonus. Got to get lucky sometimes.

Mick Fagan

Re: Nude Reclining in Tree

Postby Mick Fagan » 12 Apr 2023, 09:34

The central triangle is what grabbed me, seeing the scrub and beach in the background looked good. I also thought the compressed calf muscle looks good.

Took me a few seconds to wonder about the foliage being so bright, until I thought of infrared film; then I read your notes.

I've never used infrared sheet film, presumably you don't have the piping effect that roll film has. Or, is it a possibility with very minor light leaks when removing/refitting dark slides?

Maris

Postby Maris » 14 Apr 2023, 12:35

Thanks for your comments Mick.

Kodak High Speed Infrared sheet film was nice to use because it delivered an infrared effect with a #25 red filter. This enabled ground glass viewing, framing, and focussing. The other films I've used, Efke IR820 and Rollei 400 Infrared, both require an opaque IR720 filter which has to go on after setting up the camera; an extra step to do while hoping nothing moves.

The Tachihara bellows and the Lisco/Regal film holders I use have never leaked infrared. Not so lucky were users of the first batch of Chamonix cameras that supposedly had IR "transparent" bellows. I think Toyo suffered a batch of film holders with IR "leaky" darkslides. All problems now fixed but I reckon IR still delivers surprises, good and bad.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 16 Apr 2023, 19:23

Thanks Maris, I had totally forgotten about the original Chamonix bellows issue, I seem to now remember it was a bit of an issue for some people.

Return to “People”