A gully to the Brindabellas

John Power

A gully to the Brindabellas

Postby John Power » 29 Nov 2021, 20:46

This was yesterday arvo, with my new Benro geared head... it is a great addition to the kit. Looking forward to having it on hand with buildings in frame.
Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm, Ektar.

ImageA gully with the Brindabellas by J P, on Flickr

Maris

Re: A gully to the Brindabellas

Postby Maris » 01 Dec 2021, 11:54

That's an artful and subtle composition. The bottom of the picture is securely weighted with that big old decayed log stopping the viewer falling down the gully. Then, on the way to the Brindabellas, the eye is tripped up by that tiny but bright triangle of water. Cotter River? Nice surprise.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 01 Dec 2021, 14:11

Wow John,

I hope you had parking up top close to your vantage point. It looks quite a climb. Either that or that, like Leni Riefenstahl, you had a troupe of Nubian porters to shoulder that hefty Horseman L and its ancillary paraphernalia.

Having made the effort to get there it presents a view full of surprises and treats, as Maris pointed out, so I wonder if you hung around to see what shifting position and clarity of the sun might have on offer. I frequently used to go to great ends to get to ideal spots for dawn and sunrise (or for sunset and dusk) and never failed to be gob smacked by the unpredictable stream of goodies that would ensue — particularly in shooting colour.

On another point I have some questions about your kit and materials, if that's okay with you:
    1. Which Benro geared head are you using with the 'L'? Is it the GD3WH? Or is there a bigger version? I've used geared heads since my. television days in the 60s and really relish the isolated control they offer. Manfrottos 410, 405, and 400 in the last 20 years, but in scaled down wheelcchair mode I have a great little Leofoto which is great, but with Australia Post informing me that my new view camera is only a day or away, I thinking a something with a bit more grunt.
    2. Although I have an unopened box of Delta 100 sheets and I also have a couple of 120 rolls of XP2 Super standing by to try in the 6x12 back I am increasingly interested in trying C-42 colour as well. Based on what I saw recently in comparative test here by Mark Darragh I am mightily keen to give Ektar 100 a run,,Do you have any preferences? Again, I'd be favouring 120 to minimise 'per shot' costs and to obviated loading and unloading double darks in my changing tent. Given reduced fine-motor skills in the right hand it might also reduce the risk of stuff-ups.

Here in my facilty we've been on Red Alert Lockdown for week and a half with anoher week or two likely, so there's time to investigate, plan and acquire.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

John Power

Postby John Power » 03 Dec 2021, 12:46

Thanks heaps for the feedback, guys!

Walter, yes it's the GD3WH, a lot less compact than your lefoto (and the arca Swiss cube, which I'd have loved!) But is doing the job. The quick release for large scale adjustments Ali's really, really good and thr gear is fine... levelling is a totally different and better experience than it was with the ball head. As for ektar, to be honest I bought a lot of 4x5 sheets when they were cheap, but I definitely prefer portra 160 for anything but the sunniest of conditions... ektar gets a turquoise and red cast that I don't really love. What I'd really like to be doing is shooting e100, but I'm reluctant to spend what needs spending on e6 chemistry.

And Maris, thanks for your thoughts on composition. The site is a vantage point of a somewhat famous painting, but I scrambled down the Gully a bit to get that log to, as you mention, anchor the scene a bit... I'm really happy that you agreed that it did the job! The river down below is the Murrumbidgee :)

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 03 Dec 2021, 17:13

yes it's the GD3WH, a lot less compact than your lefoto (and the arca Swiss cube, which I'd have loved!

Thanks for the helpful advice, John. Much appreciated. But just to clarify, I have the Leofoto G2, which is quite small. Also incredibly good. But the camera I am waiting on has a round rail so I can look at a stronger 2-way head. In the Sinar days I used a Sinar P/T head for years, then in more recent times I. had the Chinese Luland knock-off which wass just as good, if not better. So good, in fact, that my mate the Sinar distributer bought one.

The same guy also bought aan Arca Cube knock-of made by Koreans — every bit as good at a fraction of the cost. Of course now there is also a Linhof version of the Cube. There is an issue with the dessign of the Cube (and some others) that the rack and pinion drives are essentially exposed to the elements and grit (unlike your. Benro & the Manfrottos). David's also got an Arca D4 which a far better. proposition to me.

My Leofoto G2 was dirt cheap — just a couple of hundred bucks — and it is a knock-off of the Arca Swiss Core 60 Leveler at $AUD 1,320.00 (https://specular.com.au/arca-swiss-core ... ck-release) There is also an Arca Swiss Core 75 Leveler at $AUD 1,496.00. Just FYI. Much as I am highly respectful of Intellectual Property Rights I am not a fan boy of gouging people's wallets to an unlimited extent.

Film: I am looking at Ektar as my 4x5 sheet optiion as XP2 Super is only 120 and 135. In all probability Ii'd be desaturating the scans and only using it as a B&W option. TThe fact that it is T-grain is a huge part of the appeal. Incidentally, I watched a clip last night on Sally Mann where she was extollling the virtues of Ortho emmulsions. You may have seen it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_UUCvB0UP4)
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”