Lake Jindabyne, Drowned Poplars.

Maris

Lake Jindabyne, Drowned Poplars.

Postby Maris » 01 Apr 2024, 10:21

Lake Jindabyne, Drowned Poplars
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.7cm X 19.3cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 121mm f8 lens and a #25 red filter.
The square filter was stuck to the lens with blobs of Blu-Tac. Any 77mm screw-in filter would vignette on a lens this wide when it is used beyond its proper 5x7 format. Centring the lens was very critical but I got that right. Didn't notice the little bellows cut-off along the bottom edge!

Barry Kirsten

Re: Lake Jindabyne, Drowned Poplars.

Postby Barry Kirsten » 01 Apr 2024, 13:44

Great shot, Maris. I imagine how tricky it was to get it just centred at the limit of that lens's coverage. I wouldn't have noticed the bellows cut-off at the bottom if you hadn't pointed it out. And the red filter is just right for the shot.

Maris

Postby Maris » 05 Apr 2024, 13:03

Thanks Barry Kirsten for your insights on this picture. I first knew these poplar trees when they were in magnificent full leaf. It was sad to see them killed by the imperatives of hydraulic engineering. Lake Jindabyne is the first reservoir to capture the snow-melt delivered by the Thredbo and Snowy Rivers and its depth varies widely. Too bad for the shore-line trees when extra high water levels come in early summer.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 09 Apr 2024, 14:32

Brings back memories of the north bound drive on the Hume Highway into Jugiong. As you descended the hill and went round the bend, still descending, one would be greeted with an avenue of Poplar trees, often shrouded in a low lying mist in winter time.

I like that you've used portrait mode for this lakescape, works very well.

I too didn't notice the bellows at the bottom.

Return to “Places”