Trying out the new kit

Walter Glover

Trying out the new kit

Postby Walter Glover » 22 Oct 2015, 03:21

I recently purchased a sensational TOYO 45 AX from forum member Barry Kirsten. I am thrilled with it and here are the first fruits.

It isn't my first Toyo (I've previously had 3 4x5s and an 8x10) but it is a cracker and the best 4x5 yet.

The beginning of life.

Pets on Duck Avenue

A film speed test #1

A film speed test #2
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Re: Trying out the new kit

Postby Maris » 22 Oct 2015, 07:09

The Toyo 45 AX is nice and I tried one. But I decided on a wooden Tachihara at almost half the weight. The Tachi is good to carry but it simply doesn't deliver the sense (and confidence) of precision that a metal camera like the Toyo does. Delightful street scenes, by the way.
Film speed test #2 looks good.

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 22 Oct 2015, 16:41

Lovely shots Walter, particularly the street scenes as Maris said. To be honest I can't tell the difference between the two film speed tests - how do the negs compare?

We're all strange creatures with our different likes and dislikes, though some probably less strange than others. I've had two Tachi 4x5s and loved them. The Toyo I also loved, but for a different reason, its precision manufacture and delight in use. But I like wooden cameras and have a selection of Huon Pine offcuts that I'd like to turn into non-folding cameras... hence the sale of the Toyo. I may yet live to regret selling it as I did the Tachis. Some people never learn :roll:

Glad you're enjoying the camera. Will ring you soon about coming up to Sydney. Best regards. Barry

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 22 Oct 2015, 18:47

Interesting point you make about weight there Maris. The Toyo 45AX in standard trim weighs about 2.7 kg, my Shen Hao 4x5 wooden field folder weighs 2.4kg, your Tachihara 4x5 is around 1.6kg.

Recently I saw a Toyo 45AX fitted with a Toyo 4x5 revolving back, something I didn’t know could be done. A revolving back really can make life easier and certainly could save on the fiddle factor if trying to align the frame to an awkward orientation. They are also so simple in aligning the horizon, just a slight turn and you’re done.

Excellent images uploaded, I assume these are negative scans, regardless they are great. I will have to get something to scan with, otherwise I cannot upload anything. I have nice negs and reasonable prints, but other than holding them in your hand or seeing them on the wall, that’s it.

mICK.

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 23 Oct 2015, 05:51

I never missed the revolving back at all. I guess once you've had several cameras with the standard Graflock back you get used to manually changing from landscape to portrait orientation. What I did miss was the focusing hood, but never got around to buying one for it. I admit focusing hoods are not ideal under all conditions, but for most they're very convenient.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 23 Oct 2015, 08:13

This is my first 4x5 Toyo devoid of the rotating back. Now that I no longer shoot excess walking protein I doubt I will ever have a requirement to shift from landscape to portrait orientation so it simply isn't an issue.

On Linhofs and Toyos I always found the folding focussing hoods a real bother. They invariable proved to be obstructive — never moreso than when lens shift was applied or when checking the image corners with a loupe was the order of the day.

I could say more about how chuffed I am with Barry's Toyo but I fear the inherent love in the comments could arouse suspicions of deviant behaviour amongst those in authority.

Cheers,
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 23 Oct 2015, 13:32

Congratulations Walter! You have the camera you recommended to me a few years back. It was one of the best photography purchases I made and honestly couldn't imagine shooting with anything else.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 24 Oct 2015, 16:31

Those film speed tests are very nice, what type of film did you use? Btw I have some toyo lensboards sitting around not being used if you're after some?

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 27 Oct 2015, 03:37

RoganJosh wrote:Those film speed tests are very nice, what type of film did you use? Btw I have some toyo lensboards sitting around not being used if you're after some?

The film is Ilford FP4+. In one exposure I rated the film at 100 iso and then I opened up a stop to effectively 50 iso.

I use a compensating developer (Diafine) and I was curious to learn what would happen to the local contrast on the high values if I went for more open low values. I was happy with both outcomes but I think I favour the 100iso version on close inspection of a print (A3+ size).

I have a stack of Toyo boards, thanks. In fact I am about to flog a stack of Linhof MT boards and Sinar boards if anybody has a need.
Walter Glover

Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”