Tasman Bridge

alexgard

Tasman Bridge

Postby alexgard » 28 Nov 2015, 15:41

I had another go at the Tasman Bridge today. I shot two plates. The first being pretty clean but sadly about a stop or more overexposed. You can see in the iphone pic that it looks pretty good but it is still wet, when it dries it will fade considerably and I don't think even varnish could save it (as varnish darkens the image a bit)

The second plate was not as cleanly developed, and I lost some detail in the shadows. I should probably have tried to overexpose and underdevelop. Nevertheless here are the images.

This was my first time using the Nikkor SW 120mm f/8 lens thankyou Maris for the recommendation. It is definitely a very wide lens and I can see it being limited for use considering how wide it is... And I'm pretty sure I can notice the light falloff with it?

I need to tilt the front standard of my Tachi 8x10 back a fair bit and then tilt the lens forward on the focal axis to get it close enough to the rear standard for focusing. Camera has never been this squished up before. Perhaps a recessed lens board would be a good idea.

Unvarnished 8x10 Black glass ambrotype
120mm lens @ f/32
25 seconds

and here was the first shot I did... bit disappointed because it was pretty clean.

[/quote]
Last edited by alexgard on 29 Nov 2015, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.

alexgard

Re: Tasman Bridge

Postby alexgard » 28 Nov 2015, 15:42

Here's a bit of history of the bridge (copied from my facebook page)

In 1975 the ship "Lake Illawarra" under peculiar circumstances or captain's error ploughed into the bridge causing two pylons and a 127 meter (416 ft) span of the concrete bridge to fall onto the ship, sinking it and killing seven crew members and five motorists.

As a result of the disruption to commuters between the Eastern and Western sides of Hobart, a ferry service was utilised until the bridge could be repaired. Under Robert Clifford, a booming ferry business soon emerged and is today now globally known as "InCat", a shipbuilder producing large high speed Catamarans that have been delivered worldwide as passenger ferries and used in Naval services.

The Lake Illawarra still lies under the bridge in waters about 35m deep, and provides no navigational hazard. Since the accident all ships passing under the bridge require a Pilot, and when a ship is passing underneath, vehicle traffic across the bridge is suspended.

addendum:

There is a bit of conspiracy surrounding the bridge collapse, as within hours of the disaster the ferry service was established and seemed to be already organised. Rumours swirl (and perhaps just rumours) that some shady deal was made so Captain Robert Clifford could massively expand his ferry service into ultimately what it is now today, and also the establishment of mandatory tug boats and Harbour Pilot service, which since the disaster all large vessels require on this passage and no exemption given. It is particularly interesting that a Captain would lose concentration at such a crucial and most hazardous part of navigation up the Derwent river. Again, only conspiracy but this is information you can find at the Maritime Museum in Hobart

Return to “Places”