Ebor Falls

Maris

Ebor Falls

Postby Maris » 03 Jul 2016, 09:06

Ebor Falls
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford MG IV FB, image area 24.3cm X 19.4cm, from a 4x5 Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens and a #25 red filter.

RoganJosh

Re: Ebor Falls

Postby RoganJosh » 03 Jul 2016, 14:10

That's a keeper. How'd you get that viewpoint? You handled the printing very well.

Maris

Postby Maris » 04 Jul 2016, 16:46

Viewpoint? Easy! There's a cliff-top viewing platform off the Ebor Falls Walking Track that fronts the upper cataract. A 300mm lens uses nearly all the Tachihara bellows but it tightens the composition nicely. The landscape above the falls is dodged somewhat and the large areas of white in the falling water are burned-in here and there. Hopefully it all reads ok to the eye.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 04 Jul 2016, 20:00

I'd like to see it with that bit of white water at the bottom of the image cropped out; just a little distracting.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 04 Jul 2016, 21:34

Lachlan717 wrote:I'd like to see it with that bit of white water at the bottom of the image cropped out; just a little distracting.

Either that, or possibly include more of whatever it is there so that it is resolved?

Having said that. I doubt I would be happy to achieve it at the expense of the hinterland at the upper level of the frame. Maybe just a 240mm instead of a 300mm? I am mindful, however, that it is not my image and so I am only offering a meditation on what I see.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 05 Jul 2016, 11:10

Walter Glover wrote:
Lachlan717 wrote:I'd like to see it with that bit of white water at the bottom of the image cropped out; just a little distracting.

Either that, or possibly include more of whatever it is there so that it is resolved?

Having said that. I doubt I would be happy to achieve it at the expense of the hinterland at the upper level of the frame. Maybe just a 240mm instead of a 300mm? I am mindful, however, that it is not my image and so I am only offering a meditation on what I see.

Lachlan717 is right. Cropping out the start of the second cataract would close off the bottom of the picture and make for a more unified composition. When I made this photograph I was fixed on a "full frame, no cropping" mantra derived from my 8x10 contact work and thought it should also apply to enlargements from 4x5.

Walter, framing the scene was awkward with the camera hung out over the safety rail to avoid trees blocking some of the white water. I had 300mm, 210mm, and 90mm lenses with me. The 210mm would only show one and a half cataracts so I thought I'd leave it out. Here's the version showing both cataracts:
Ebor Falls, Upper and Lower Cataracts
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111 VC FB photographic paper, image dimensions 24.5cm X 19.4cm, from a 4x5 TriX negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f8 lens and an orange filter. Different film and paper to the first one!

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 05 Jul 2016, 23:12

Thanks for illuminating the scene with the second framing Maris,

Being something of fan of context I have to say my own preference is for the more encompassing view of the second shot.

Just stating a preference ..... far be it for me to make stipulations regarding another photographer's work.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”