Kanyaka Ruins Southern Flinders Ranges

Bazz8

Kanyaka Ruins Southern Flinders Ranges

Postby Bazz8 » 23 Jan 2019, 06:37

Astonishing craftsmanship 170yrs old check out the gunbarrel straight corners.
x-ray neg contact printed ,Foma Fibre paper
Attachments
2019-01-20-0001.jpg

Maris

Re: Kanyaka Ruins Southern Flinders Ranges

Postby Maris » 23 Jan 2019, 10:55

Yes, those are evocative ruins that will last centuries more barring an earthquake. Alas, the Kanyaka Station project was way north of Goyder's Line and ultimately doomed when the good seasons ran out. Bazz8 you've selected an angle where the lights coming through the shadowed wall hint at the hollow spaces of a skull. Too grim a critique, maybe?

Bazz8

Re: Kanyaka Ruins Southern Flinders Ranges

Postby Bazz8 » 24 Jan 2019, 08:35

I did not have much space to shoot the structure due to the obligatory tourist safety fence and signage,
almost 90% of those who have seen the print comment about the shafts of light.
Being a building teacher the structures longevity and straight and level had me thinking wow
eg: most chimneys are supported or braced by the roof structure yet after all these years solid .
My most disappointment of the many ruins are they have decided to render some of the ruins with modern render and it
looks so out of place.
In Australia we do not get it with historical renovations,I worked on Eurila which was the summer residence of the Bonython
family on Mount Lofty built in 1885 burnt down On Ash Wednesday Kym Bonython sold the top storys stone for a pittance,
the new owners got the original plans in melbourn and then reproduced the building to its former glory.
The work late won renovation of the year early 2009.
Barry

Return to “Places”