My Mother's Parlor

Maris

My Mother's Parlor

Postby Maris » 15 Feb 2019, 12:19

My Mother's Parlor
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford MG IV VC RC photographic paper, image size 19.5cm X 24.6cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 121mm f8 lens.

This is how she left things when going to look for nursing home options. Two of my photographs hang on the wall at the left. She never did return. The clock, unwound, has run down and its pendulum and chimes sleep quietly.

alexgard

Re: My Mother's Parlor

Postby alexgard » 08 Jul 2019, 21:47

This is quite a haunting, personal and mysterious image Maris and I'm resisting the urge to ask questions which may be too personal about it.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 16 Jul 2019, 05:00

Strange that youmake mention of the still and quiet of the clock, Maris, because this a fine example of what I like to HEAR in a photograph.

The TV is present as an appliance to be engaged with when and as needed. Stuck in the corner on a shelf it is incidental to life. The lounges, on the other hand, are central to what was important in a pre-techno world. Co versation and interaction; hospitality and mutual interest. Certainly a lot to reflect upon about life and style of then and now.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 13 Aug 2020, 21:08

I can relate to the vibes of this image very closely as it reminds me of my own mother’s house when she left it for the last time - for Aged Care.
For me the image captures a strange atmosphere of both presence and loss.

It reminds us of the passage of time and perhaps our own mortality.

Maris

Postby Maris » 14 Aug 2020, 10:30

Thank you kind people for indulging my nostalgia trip. The next post piles on more nostalgia and carries a sharp little pinch of sadness for me even after many years have passed.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Aug 2020, 05:52

All sorts of people live across the street, or around the corner, or the other side of town. But those we love live deep within our hearts and they can never move from there ..... they stay with us forever more.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”