Late Fall, Lake Jindabyne.

Maris

Late Fall, Lake Jindabyne.

Postby Maris » 01 Dec 2019, 10:42

Late Fall, Lake Jindabyne
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.3cm X 16.4cm, from a Fomapan 400 4x5 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 75mm f5.6 lens and a #25 red filter.

If one is interested in the philosophy of nature it is a dangerous thing to read Henry David Thoreau's Walden (1854). I carried an exerpt from this book in my camera bag in the hope that Lake Jindabyne would afford a scene to illustrate it. Quote:
"It is pleasant to walk over the beds of these fresh, crisp, and rustling leaves. How beautifully they go to their graves, how gently lay themselves down and turn to mold!--painted of a thousand hues, and fit to make the beds of us living. How many flutterings before they rest quietly in their graves! They that soared so loftily, how contentedly they return to dust. again, and are laid low, resigned to lie and decay at the foot of a tree, and afford nourishment to new generations of their kind, as well as to flutter on high! They teach us how to die. One wonders if the time will ever come when men, with their boasted faith in immortality, will lie down as graceful and as ripe..."

Walter Glover

Re: Late Fall, Lake Jindabyne.

Postby Walter Glover » 03 Dec 2019, 21:59

I always suspected that there was a philosophically poetic force driving you, Maris.

For years it was my mission amongst the typing hoardes around the subs' desk in publishing houses to convince them that the text is simply prose while the photographs are verse.

Certainly displaying a highly charged and most welcome pictorialist aspect to your purpose here.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 08 Dec 2019, 19:16

As I scrolled down the picture after opening this thread, I saw the floating leaves and immediately thought, filter, red or deep orange?
I then read your text and noted it was a red, I think use of that filter really lifts this.

I've never read that Thoreau excerpt before, certainly fits this scene.

Mick.

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 13 Aug 2020, 20:55

Still catching up on your posts and this one is very special.
Love the ambiguity in the composition and how the image quietly resonates the changing of the seasons.

Return to “Places”