Large Format Fisheye

Maris

Large Format Fisheye

Postby Maris » 23 Jun 2020, 14:03

Noosa River, Fisheye, #002
Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford VC FB photographic paper, image size 15cm diameter, from a 4x5 Kodak Tri-X Pan Professional negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Mamiya-Sekor C 37mm f4.5 fisheye lens.

If you have ever wondered whether the huge 37mm fisheye lens for the Mamiya RB67 system covers 4x5 now you know: well short even of the 4" dimension. More of these strange pictures to follow.

Mick Fagan

Re: Large Format Fisheye

Postby Mick Fagan » 28 Jun 2020, 17:29

Quite interesting. I have never seen that lens, so I don't know how large it is, but if it is anything like other lenses in the RB range, it certainly wouldn't be light or small.

Doesn't appear to be much falloff either, quite remarkable.

Mick.

Walter Glover

Re: Large Format Fisheye

Postby Walter Glover » 30 Jun 2020, 09:21

I can vouch for the amazing image quality on the Mamiya=Sekor
fisheye. I had the version for the RZ. A mate did a radio broadcast from the first untethered flight of the Bond airship over Sydney in about 1986 and swung me the junket as long as I made some shots available to 2-Day FM. I flogged as shot taken floating abovve Vauclus to Eastern Suburbs Newspapers who were inundated with purcase enquiries from residents in the shot who could cleary make out their properties, right down to kids' toys identifiable in back yards. i guess the mirror pre-release on the side of the barrel made exposure after focussing an easy matter.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”