Working the subject; two views.

Maris

Working the subject; two views.

Postby Maris » 14 Jul 2020, 13:39

Tree Shadow and Shingles, Waldheim
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.5cm X 20.1cm,
from a 4x5 Kodak Tri-X negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Voigtlander Heliar 21cm f4.5 lens.

Sedges and Shingles, Waldheim
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.7cm X 19.3cm,
from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

These two were taken within minutes of each other a few years ago. Those were the days when I'd head out with an 8x10 outfit AND a 4x5 outfit just so as not to miss out on any possibilities. Haven't the backbone for it now.

Mick Fagan

Re: Working the subject; two views.

Postby Mick Fagan » 16 Jul 2020, 09:54

Maris, I like the first one, that is the one with most impact for me. Have you considered lowering the top to eliminate the shadow on the top left?
To me it looks stronger and almost starting to be abstract, with that shadow gone.

The other one is alright, but I certainly prefer the 4x5" negative.

Going out with two cameras was something I did often, but I'm talking about roll film cameras; not quite the same thing.

As a youngster with a grandfather who was an avid photographer, I sometimes managed to tag along on some of his photographic forays. On one such excursion (late fifties) to a quite remote part of NSW, we came across another photographer. Very well set-up, had a home made living arrangement (box) on the back of a truck. Looking back at it now, I presume he was probably a professional photographer.

We ended up having dinner together, which was fresh rabbit over a spit. During the course of the day we found out he had two cameras, English made MPP folding gizmos. To me they were very flash, but other than that I wouldn't have had a clue as they looked pretty much the same as most cameras around then.

Some years later, that photographer came up in conversation with my grandfather. To my surprise he mentioned/questioned why he had two cameras, when all he needed to do was swap lenses and of course we all used film backs; plus apparently he only had one tripod. Remains a mystery to me to this day. I remember that trip very well as I had my mother's 620 Kodak and one roll of film, first time I used a camera without her hovering around.

Mick.

Maris

Re: Working the subject; two views.

Postby Maris » 17 Jul 2020, 10:23

You are right Mick. The first one is better and has had the top cropped off it. It's more square than the 5x4 aspect ratio would imply. But I accepted the black triangle upper left to keep the line of white flashing upper right. Decisions, compromises, ....

After I went back to the subject with the 8x10 camera I stopped in front of the sedges. Grass is just long pile carpet but sedges are severe wire brushes that suit the sharpness and resolution ambitions of a particular class of photographic junkie. Especially if he has a 8x10 camera in hand. The contact print has lots of mid-tone detail. The monitor image is a bit clotted. Thems is de breaks.

Return to “Places”